Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£2.99

on 3 May 2014
I found this awesomely entertaining from start to finish. It's such a cool idea and I loved the unicorn's personality! Amusing dialogue and some very quote-able lines. Excellent start to the series. I will definitely read the next one. Highly recommended!
on 15 August 2013
So I picked this up because I knew it was a collaboration between Johnny B. Truant and Sean Platt, and I listen to their podcast. I had little to no experience in reading Johnny's work, but I did already enjoy a little bit of Sean's.

What I found here was a story that balanced a quite hilarious setting and a cool premise. The authors manage to give enough worldbuilding as the story progresses that everything is explained in the right way and you feel like you know everything you need to. The tropes used in the story seem familiar, but the comedic fantasy take on them brings them to life and breathes freshness into a story that could otherwise be lost in the multitudes of Western's out there.

I did hear that the authors did NO research whatsoever with this book, however.

Brilliant book, and I'll be buying the others as soon as I can.
on 2 February 2014
I came across this book after reading Sean and Johnny's Write, Publish, Repeat and enjoyed their writing style. I read it in two sittings. It's not perfect, maybe a little too much exposition in places, but the characterisation, plot and pace are spot on, on top of which it is a really intriguing set up. The history of how it came to be written in the first place makes it unusual too. Will definitely be reading more.
on 19 October 2013
I chose this book as I have started to listen to Johnny B. Truant's pod cast. With my own work (Eventide Lost in Darkness) I find the writing process to be at times difficult, so a book like this hits the spot. With regards to the negative reviews, I disagree. If you want a bit of a laugh and a break form the norm I would recommend this book to anyone.
on 6 March 2014
Why would a unicorn and an American-West style gunslinger share a story, let alone a whole series?

"He's with me because what we have is friendship, held together by mutual loathing."

Clint the grumpy gunslinger is positively cheerful compared to Edward, the unfriendly unicorn who sparkles pink when he's doing something magical. Admittedly, I prefer the unicorn. He reminds me of...no, not a sparkling, sulky vampire. My daughter's black miniature Shetland. First impressions aren't what they seem.

The Shetland will kick anything sheer across the paddock that p***es him off, including full-sized horses, yet behave like a gentleman when there's a little girl on his back. Edward...well, the drinking, pie-eating, insulting and incredibly proud unicorn isn't above laughing at Clint's misfortunes, but they are partners in their pursuit of justice.

If you're after a classic Western, this isn't it - with pink smoke, plastic buckets for horses, Fanta as an intoxicant, plus the unavoidable unicorn. If you like your fantasy a bit darker, grittier and rougher than Lord of the Rings - more Game of Thrones style but with a far more modern setting and sequels you don't have to wait years for - this is well worth your time. I've just bought the whole series to enjoy at my leisure - yes, I liked the first one that much.

Hey, it has a unicorn in it. Need I say more?
on 18 June 2014
It started as a joke. David Wright challenged his SPP and writing colleagues Sean and Johnny saying that they could never write a western because massive amounts of research would be needed.

The guys said they would just put a unicorn in it and explain any historical inaccuracies through magic.

It’s genius.

I’ll admit straight off that it’s not for everyone. However I live in a world where I love Stephen King's DARK TOWER books so magic and cowboys work fine with me. But let me be clear, this book isn’t stupid. The guys haven’t written something immature just to make a point. It’s a really good story with quite a dark plot that only promises to get bigger (this became part one of a nine part saga).

Throughout the tale little snippets of the world’s history are dropped with not a single info dump in sight. It’s great writing and makes you want to follow these characters where ever they go just so you can learn more about the places and people of the Realm and the Sands.

Clint and Edward the unicorn are a great double act. Edward, in particular was inspired. I won’t give anything away but he was nothing like I expected him to be.

In fact I can’t think of anything bad to say about this book. The lack of a fifth star is only representative of the fact that this is a small part to a bigger work and I’m giving it the allowance to get better. As the first part it obviously leaves a few threads open at the end and so it’s hard to be satisfied with what is, essentially, just the opening salvo.

But that’s fine. If you’re like me, the second you finish the last page you’ll be back at the (digital) bookstore happy to buy the rest of the collection

Looking forward to more adventures with Clint and Edward.
on 28 March 2014
This is one of the best reads I have happened upon for years. And it was FREE! As a fan of weird westerns I was a little unsure about it thinking it might be a bit "too stupid", but it was FREE!. I was very pleased to find that, yes, it was "too stupid"! But SO good! And it was FREE! The humour in it reminds me quite a lot of Robert Rankin. And it was FREE! The cliff-hanger ending was superb and I will be downloading the second one ASAP! Did I mention it was FREE?!
on 22 May 2013
I enjoyed this once I got used to the 'western' dialogue which seemed a little patchy from character to character. It was shorter than I expected but that wasn't necessarily a bad thing. I hope there is more back history to the characters as the story progress though.
on 30 January 2013
Something a bit different from this genre, one that I certainly enjoyed. Will keep an eye out for this author in future.
on 22 December 2012
ok I am a fan of these guys and enjoy the podcasts they do. But so far thus this has been a off the wall idea that's been made good and reads great. The characters are funny but strangely real and funny but serious at the same time. Please buy this and enjoy the ride. Roll on book two.