Customer reviews

on 11 February 2014
Read this book as I am currently studying an environment & economic course at University, and the whole concept of corporate social responsibility interests me a lot. To start off, I thoroughly enjoyed the writing style - the author tells about his experiences in personally visiting areas around the world. He does so extremely well and is able to capture his images in a really good way. I finished the book with a very sceptic view on labels such as Fair Trade, Rainforest Alliance, and all other "Organic" product labels. It is quite shocking how we as consumers are often morally convinced that by buying these labels we are doing a good deed, and yet we know so little about what is really going on behind the scenes. Excellent book, I would definitely recommend everyone to read it! :)
on 13 May 2012
This is a very revealing book. Have come to the conclusion that the people in poor countries would be better off with free trade because Fair Trade is anything but. I was ever suspicious of so called fair trade and it's upmarket prices. Rarely bought anything labeled fair trade and after reading this book certainly won't. Local produce for me when ever possible.
on 7 August 2015
Great book, opens your eyes to the realisty of big business and their not so ethical practices! It has helped me with a project about how fair Fair Trade is! Or not as the case may be!!
on 11 March 2014
Woodman's genre is new and individual and this one is another success - does not disappoint. Should appeal to adventurers, travellers, economists etc
on 1 April 2012
If you've ever picked up an ethically labeled product at your local supermarket you probably did so for two reasons - you like the taste of the product and you feel reassured that local laborers are provided with a fair pay and acceptable working conditions. The important question would be - is this really so?
In Unfair Trade economist Conor Woodman presents a snapshot of what life is like for some of the world's poorest people trying to make a living by supplying our needs. From Nicaragua and Congo, to China and Tanzania, from coffee and tea to cotton and rubber, the author presents a collection of truly eyeopening case studies, letting the voices of those be heard who are supposedly treated "fair". Yet the emphasis is not just on the working conditions, but also on the double standards and moral compromise culminating in the shocking contrast of ethical labeling as marketing tool vs how things really are at the other end of that label. As much as those certifications don't always equal fairness, no such labels don't necessarily translate into unfairness, sometimes quite the contrary.
Written in a conversational tone, this is a comprehensible study that presents a brief yet revealing introduction to the topic. While the book isn't intended to be an exhaustive look at big businesses and their marketing tools, the ethical labeling of products itself would have deserved more exploration in my opinion.
In short: An insightful glimpse on just how fair "fair" trade really is!

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from Random House. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own.
on 13 August 2016
Arrived before time as described