on 11 March 2009
I am restarting education at 41 years old, hoping to increase my employment chances if the recession bites.

I believe that mathematics is an essential skill, but I lack confidence, probably because of bad experience as as child. This book changes that.

It is written in such a clear, straightforward way that I'm wondering what my problem was with this subject; dare I say it, mathematics appears to be enjoyable.

The beauty of it is, all my questions are answered in a way that makes the subject interesting.

Graham Lawler: you are a hero.
on 7 January 2007
This book has changed my whole attitude to a subject that I hated at school and have never had any confidence in. Just flicking through it was enough to make me realise that I could actually understand things straight away that I had always thought I couldn't do! It was a real eye-opener for me and has given me the confidence to face up to something that I have always avoided. I was so chuffed I wrote an email to the author to thank him and got a lovely email back from him straight away.

If you didn't keep up with maths at school or thought everybody else 'got it' whilst you got left further and further behind then this is a great book for you. PS I have forgiven my maths teacher for all the times he threw the board rubber at our heads in frustration and hopefully he might have learned a a little about his teaching style over the years!
22 Comments| 89 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
Those of us with memories of poring over difficult maths textbooks that seemed to speak another language will be heartened by this. If you've used BBC mathematics online resources to help you study you will have read the author Graham Lawler already - he wrote many of them. This book is handily sized to slip into a briefcase in comparison to many textbooks. It's written in language that clarifies, not confuses, in a way that relates maths skills to the real world, particularly the world of business.

I've reviewed a few maths resources for Amazon and this is up there with the best. If you are buying this for someone with dyslexia you might also wish to purchase the Chambers Adult Learners' Guide to Numeracy which is written in dyslexia-friendly text and on off-white non-glaring paper. However that stops short at key skills Level 2, whereas this goes further with the skills needed for Level 3 and university entrance tests/ the numeracy skills tests needed to gain qualified teacher status (QTS). It's a good resource for numeracy tutors too - giving insights in how to get difficult concepts over.

Highly recommended.
on 18 September 2015
It is very well written and makes learning maths a joy, I have other maths books but I always refer to this when Iam stack. It is excellent maths book.
on 9 December 2010
I really struggle with maths, even in it's most simplest form. While studying at college I was required to take a course in maths and I truly dreaded the prospect. In order to better prepare myself for the course I bought this book as well as several others.

I have to say this book has helped me no end to improve my maths skills. it's easy to read, well laid out and contains lots of examples with adequate solutions and explanations.

If like me you struggle with even the most simple maths for whatever reason, this book will help you progress your skills.
on 22 May 2009
I am a student and I can say without a shadow of doubt this book is excellent! I will definitely be using it in preparing my lessons. One minute overview and tutorial in every chapter plus useful snippets you don't get in other maths books. The 'Using a Calculator' chapter is very useful. Don't wait buy it!
on 11 August 2010
This book is ideal for mature, motivated students who have good reading skills but lack confidence in maths. It covers a lot of ground, from basic topics like multiplying by powers of 10 through to Pythagoras and solving complicated linear equations. The techniques shown are clear and accurate. However, it is not suitable for those with literacy difficulties since there is a lot of text, some of it quite dense, and it is not designed for exam preparation as there are few practice questions included for many of the topics.
on 20 February 2007
Make sure you buy at least two copies as you'll be lending this to other folks to use as well and will not see it back. A superb aid in teaching and learning. Highly recommended.
on 1 September 2010
I purchased this book based on the reviews other people had left and I really needed something to explain the basics of mathematics(as I did not have the best teacher in school!).I have gained so much confidence!I no longer shy away from mathematics and the best part is I now understand maths!
on 29 March 2011
This book is exactly what I expected, a good, well structured reference guide to everyday maths. It covers most aspects of maths from arithmetic to algebra and explains things in plain English.