Customer reviews

on 13 May 2003
I really enjoyed reading this book. It is thorough and packed with precise explanation, but also good-humoured and fluently written. Suitable for those (like myself) who are new to the subject but with sufficient depth that I'm sure I'll get more from it after reading other works and returning to it. Definitely worth buying, reading, keeping to read again... Recommended.
on 20 December 2015
Incredibly boring. But it was a moderately useful coursebook for my students.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 21 April 2001
I find Chris Brown's methodical approach to the much debated theory of International Relations most refreshing. His non-judgemental style gives a clear account of all the main theoretical possibilities of the discipline while at the same time restoring the fun that is sadly missing back to the subject. This text is essential reading for any student (postgraduate or undergraduate) of International Relations or Politics. Even teachers and politicians could learn something from this valuable text!.
on 2 August 2009
A good introduction to IR, but beyond BA 1 this book loses its utility - it's far too simple. The book covers only certain interpretations of main IR theories, and most readers would be better with something like International Relations Theory: Realism, Pluralism, Globalism and Beyond which shows the nuances of each point of view. These nuances are not just fussing by petty theorists, but important differences that should not be overlooked by anyone taking a serious interest in IR
on 19 November 2003
I bought this book in order to increase my understanding of the current affairs in international politics. And I can certainly say that it did!! This book increased my insight but most of all it inspired me to read much more about the subject. I think it's a great introduction and I found the 'further reading guide' at the end of the chapters very helpful in exploring this extremely interesting subject!!! If you buy this book you WILL be burdened with the need to read a lot more, truly inspiring!
on 12 February 2011
This book is very good for those who want an introduction to International Relations. It simplifies issues, but doesn't omit important details. It is very well written, not beating around the bush when it comes to tricky issues. It is written in a honest tone, and makes sure to maintain itself professionally about it.

The structure of the book is also very helpful. It moves more and more into theoretical debates as the chapters go on, but it is still possible to read each chapter without having read the preceding chapters.

I highly recommend this book to anyone wanting to study, or just learn more about, International Relations, this book will be extremely handy to have around.
on 28 October 2009
Good first year text and nice to read. A good transition into a student's first year of International Relations. I would recommend it as a starting text to most students. It should be paired with alternate texts as well, but a good piece of a collection.
on 24 January 2013
Whilst if I was to buy a textbook on IR as a beginner to the subject this wouldn't be my first choice, this is a detailed and useful textbook which has come in handy in some of my modules.
on 19 August 2012
Package arrived on time in very good condition even tho it was a used book. I think its an excellent book for anyone new to international relations as it goes from.the history of it to actual examples which I found very useful. The chapters are set out in readable chunks and an extra reading list is provided at the end of each chapter. I would definately recommend this book to anyone even just for general knowledge
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 21 November 2012
Really didn't enjoy reading this, was very heavy going until the last few chapters when it shifted from theories to the personal application of them.

I don't doubt the quality of the authors credentials or of the information provided, but I do think he has a tendency to be a bit verbose. It's densely packed with information and new theories and name checks come along every few lines. And for somebody not familiar with the topic, it became a jumble of terminology.

But I'm probably not the target audience. It's very comprehensive and I'm sure if you are studying the subject academically it's just the job, but as a casual reader I would choose differently.