on 12 February 2002
Dorothy Rowe's Breaking the Bonds is absolutely essential reading for any sufferer or a supporter of a sufferer of depression.
As a sufferer of depression an expert told me "buy the book,you are on every page." He was right,I was. The book tells of others fighting with the illness,recognising symptoms and overcoming them. It gives sufferers or supporters the insight that has been previously lacking in any other book on the subject.
To conclude,anyone who seriously wants to overcome the illness will find the answers on these pages. I did.
on 6 February 2015
I read this book in its first hardback incarnation when it was called The Depression Handbook; it was also a week before I went into hospital with. . .depression. It was tough-going, and I burst into tears more than once, but I don't blame her. I think this, like all her books, is packed with wisdom and compassion, together with a gritty realism which goes beyond the "there, there" approach to mental health which I, for one, find so patronizing. In insisting that depression is not an illness, or even a maladjustment, but a meaningful response to pain and fear which can be understood and then relinquished as more satisfying choices present themselves (if we have the courage to let them), she spoke to me even in the depths of despair. There were times when I feared I wouldn't be able to make the changes she recommends to heal myself, but hers is one of many voices of kind understanding that have helped me to do that. I don't agree with everything she says, and her views on religion have become more dogmatic over the years, but when she speaks about the experience of depression I find her hard to beat.
on 9 February 2011
This is one of Dorothy Rowe's older texts - still an excellent source of calm wisdom, but completely ruined by the meanness of the Harper Perrenial reprint from what looks like old substandard typeface. If you don't mind reading a book that looks as if it has been printed on blotting paper fine, but if this irritates you as much as it does me I suggest that you look for a second hand copy of a decent edition instead.