Customer reviews

Underlife
Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£2.80

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 29 December 2015
Underlife is a horror novel that is mainly set in the tunnels in London's underground.

It is a very dark read that makes you question as a parent how far you would go to save your child.

Tom has grown up shutting out the period of his life from the age of seven and under. It isn't long though after meeting Mack that he starts to remember the life he used to lead as a young child. Understandably it is one that many of us would want to put behind us but due to the people that live underground they think that Tom is the answer to all their problems.

The journey through the dark tunnels is a tense and at times disturbing read. The great thing with this authors books is that you could easily visualise her novels as a film and they would certainly make for some scary experiences. Will certainly have readers scared of what lurks in shadows!

Underlife starts off at quite a steady pace which turns into a race against time for Tom to save his sons life.

Another gripping and enjoyable read.
on 29 March 2015
I started out reading Go Back by Marissa Farrar, a free book, the prequel to this one. It really had me hooked and I was disappointed that Go Back was just a little teaser to get me all hyped up to leave me hanging . Farrar is a talented writer and I really enjoyed that first short story, so of course, I had to grab up that second book (which I actually found was available in my Scribd subscription, along with some of Farrar's other books). It's not necessary to read Go Back before you start Underlife, but you may as well because it's a freebie and it's short, giving you an extra peek into the main character, Tom's, background. In Underlife, Tom is a middle-aged man with a critically ill son. Things happen that convince Tom that he must go to the hidden underground tunnels to help find the answers to save his son. Underground, Tom must deal with his claustrophobia, a past that he can't remember, and a monster that lives in the dark caverns. With the help of the homeless people living in the tunnels, will Tom be able to find the answers in time to save his son from dying? Or will whatever is waiting in the dark get to Tom first?

This book was fast moving with lots of colorful characters that were fun to read about and follow as they made their way through the tunnels below the city. There were plenty of dangerous situations that kept my heart rate up. The author's writing is fluid, allowing me to to slip into the story as it moved along, up until the exciting twist at the end. I really enjoyed the book and recommend it. Some scary parts though not too gross. A few times I felt the story was getting a little long as the groups' journey through the tunnels seemed to drag on a bit (thus the 4 stars versus 5), but overall a really good book and I will definitely read more by Marissa Farrar.
on 3 April 2016
I am a big fan of Marissa Farrar's writing. This is one of her older books but still as good. It is more of a horror boo than her romance books i have read.
I loved this book, it was a very unique read and very original. The main theme running through the whole book is the deep love a father has for his son and will literally go into the bowels of hell to find a cure! There is happiness, sadness and longing in this book. It inspires you to think about your own family. I love that it turned out Sky was his baby sister meaning that neither of them are alone anymore as they always thought they had been.
I have to say the scenes with the baby doll scared the crap out of me (probably my own fear). They way the whole book was written is that you can see it in your mind so easily as you are reading it, i think thats what made this scene so scary.

Loved this book and it is a must for all Marissa Marrar fans!!!!!
on 17 October 2012
This is not the usual type of book for this author, but wow it got me going straight away. I had this book free so I could give an honest review. Well I started to cry from the beginning. I'm one of those readers who cry when it's sad or happy and I am there in person as I read, or watching films. I was there all the way in the underground. I had all the emotions that the author wanted you to have. Marissa Farrar has a knack of getting you and keeping you there with what's going on. There is a part of the book that was a complete shock to me, and I wasn't expecting that to happen. So there is everything in this read that you want, to make it a fabulous read. Well done to a brilliant author, keep them coming I say. Readers you wont be disappointed with this book as it has everything. It's gripping stuff. Thank you Marissa.
on 6 October 2012
Having read & enjoyed the short prequel Go Back I was lucky enough to get an advance copy of Underlife to read & review.
I have loved everything I have read by Marissa Farrar & her latest book did not disappoint! As I parent I can fully understand how Tom will go to any length to try to save his dying son even though the last thing he wants to do is leave his bedside. Tom has to confront his fears to return to the underground tunnels where he spent his early years to try to find answers. As usual there are plenty of twists and surprises as well as excellent descriptions bringing the horror of the tunnels alive, making you feel as though you were actually there! A real page turner!
on 1 March 2013
I did enjoy this story and found the concept original and quite interesting. The book also contained some strong characters and the scenes involving the emotions of the parents of the dying boy felt very believable.
However, the middle of the book dragged badly. There was just far too much time running through tunnels and this got a bit too tedious - in fact I ended up skimming pages and flipping through them on my Kindle to get to the next significant bit of action or dialogue.
Overall, entertaining but needs a good edit and an injection of tension, whether through action or interaction between characters.
on 1 October 2012
You follow the terrifying journey of a father desperately trying to find a cure for his terminally ill son. Thomas ventures into the abandoned London underground to try to solve the mysteries of his past,long ago forgotten, in order to find answers he hopes will help him to save his sons life. Along the way he sees some horrific things that makes him want to go back home and hide but he knows he has to keep moving.
An amazing, fast paced, thrilling book that will definately leave you feeling afraid of the dark!
on 8 October 2012
I received a free copy of this book to review! I would have paid for a copy upon release anyway being already familiar with Marissa Farrar's work! I must say this was a thoroughly good read and I have spent every spare minute I've had reading it, i even took it into the bath with me! Marissa has surpassed my expectations in this book! She has a direct way of way of getting through to the reader which makes her novels unputdownable! I'm so excited for future novels! Thank you Ms Farrar for a cracking little novel!
on 17 October 2012
I too got off the mark slowly with this book, which if I'm honest is unusual when it comes to Marissa's other books, but once I got there then WOW I was addicted to reading it. Such a great story of Tom and his efforts to find what it is that will save his son. The Underlife itself had my tummy churning with fear and anticipation for what could be round that next turn and I felt as though I was with him in those dark moments. Well done to Marissa for another great read.
on 1 October 2012
I was given this book by the authour in return for an honest review.
WOW! This story tells path of discovery that Tom has to make.
This is a fantastic paranormal story with a huge difference!!!! For once it's not about vampires or witches or anything like those dark creatures it's about something much older and much darker.
A definite must read for any paranormal fan