on 11 June 2017
Of such amazing human beings!!
I would have thought the film too unbelievable, if I hadn't read this book.
It is a fantastic book, definitely up there with the best books that I have ever read.
Louie had to suffer things that very few people would be able to withstand.
I shall read this book again, to fully absorb its magnitude and incredible bravery.
I am so thankful to Laura, she is an author who writes for the story, not the money that she gets from it. I am going to read Seabiscuit next.
This book has taught me how lucky I have been in my life, not to have experienced the brutality of war.
I am not worthy to be in the same room as these many brave people.
Pain stings our bodies and makes us realise how frail we truly are. It also shows us that the real strength comes from within.
This book will never be forgotten.
on 16 September 2017
Fantastic account of Louis Zamparini's life. A must read. Very well written. Keeps the reader interested. Gives a real account of life for our soldiers in the Japanese prison camps. I know because my father was also in Omori prison camp with "the Bird" who the Brits used to call "the Wily Bird" and told us many tales of his sadism. The survival in the sea was amazing too...what a strong man.
on 9 September 2017
Captivating, shocking, inspiring, thrilling true story. We owe much to those heroes who fought for our freedom. Their bravery, courage, humour in adversity & their personal battles post war (conflict legacy) teach us much. I never realised why they didn't talk much on return from the war ( I thought they just didn't "share" stuff like people do now) but the searing brutal honesty of Louie helped me see this war differently. In many ways Louie gives a voice to those who came home & the thousands who never made it.
Recommend not just for the younger generation but anyone post WW11. It is a must read!
on 2 May 2016
Loved this book from the start. I enjoyed reading of all the POW's mentioned in this book not just Louie and it gave a real glimpse of the absolute horrors these men suffered at the hands of unnecessarily cruel guards and how they clawed their lives back once the war had finished. This book showed how amazing and courageous with amazing strength of character these men were. True heroes of such a cruel war. Well worth s read.
on 4 April 2017
A fantastic read! I read this and then went and watched the movie! Although I preferred the book! A must buy!I would give it a more in-depth review but i wouldn't want to spoil the book.
If you are interested in war stories you will not be able to put this book down.
10/10
on 10 January 2017
Sensitively written and an amazing ending. It had me captivated and horrified at the same time. Unimaginable human degradation and a tribute to the human spirit.
on 28 September 2017
What a great book. Did not want to put it down. I would recommend this if you like true 2nd world war true stories.
on 18 April 2017
An amazing, heartwarming book. I cried all the way thru!
on 20 August 2017
Fascinating story of human endurance and insider's tale of life in a Japanese POW camp. Harrowing at times but also uplifting. Important that such experiences are not forgotten. What an amazing man.
on 18 May 2017
Excellent one of the most gripping books I have read. Makes you feel you were actually there witnessing the events