Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 1 August 2017
Good series of books with a good ending
on 17 August 2017
One of my favourite book series right now, definitely worth a read if you like ya distopian novels.
on 26 August 2014
Fun book
on 13 May 2014
Uglies is the first novel in a new futuristic series set after an apocalyptic-disaster that reshaped the world and follows the life of Tally, a fifteen year old 'ugly' who lives to be a 'pretty.' In this new society, humans travel by hover-boards, can access anything they want through a hole in their wall and live as 'uglies' until they reach sixteen, when every person goes through extreme cosmetic surgery to make them 'pretty.' The uglies and pretties live separately in dorm rooms in private towns, in the center of the 'burbs' where the parents live.

Tally is about to turn sixteen and cannot wait to turn pretty, until she makes a new friend. Her new friend, Shay, doesn't want to become pretty and is very keen on exploring the ruins of the old cities ran by 'rusties' (the people of today's society - you and me) and living life away from the sheltered community they currently live in.

I've read a lot of contradicting opinions on the book, but mine is fairly straight forward. I really enjoyed reading this book and I can't wait to read the others in the series. The story, in my opinion, was well written and whilst slow at times, was entertaining throughout. It isn't a difficult read, it's quite simple to follow and can be read within a short period of time. If you look deeper into the book, there is a social commentary present and it made me question the ways in which we see ourselves as a society and the impact appearance has on our daily lives. I would definitely recommend reading this book as it's entertaining and an interesting concept to think about.
on 20 March 2017
Great seller, item as described!
on 10 August 2017
Uglies is a really interesting Dystopian Novel. Great for fans of The Hunger Games and Divergent series, those who want another book linked to the controlling government regimes but want something a little different. Well this book is exactly that, a little different. Uglies follows A society which separates you into two categories, uglies and pretties. You are an ugly until you reach of age to have the pretties surgery, in a time filled with cosmetic surgery this is something that is really interesting.

Uglies has action, romance and all the good Dystopian elements too!
Definitely worth a read!
on 11 May 2016
pooled ink Reviews:

UGLIES sets us up in perfected future that has risen after the great devastation that has destroyed much of the earth leaving behind collapsed stone and haunted steel skeletons. We follow Tally as she wakes up on just another day in her life when one risk, one slip, one decision turns everything she thought she knew inside-out. Those she trusted hold a gun to her head and those she feared give her courage and strength. In a world where everyone is ugly until their sixteenth birthday when they undergo surgery to become pretty and move across the river to live with the other pretties, serious ethics and societal norms are called into question.

Westerfeld takes the rapidly growing trend of plastic surgery that is becoming more and more commonplace in our society and pushes it a step further, a step darker. Sure, wouldn’t we all love to look gorgeous and perfect with 20/20 vision, creamy flawless skin, large luminescent eyes, and the grace of a gazelle? Duh, but everything comes with a price and how much would you be willing to sacrifice for such an offering?

Please, dear readers, this is a series you don’t want to miss out on.

Read my FULL review: [...]
on 24 October 2011
I've read a few YA books lately that look at the notion of a dystopian/utopian society (Delirium and The Hunger Games Trilogy being prime examples) and I was keen to see what else could be written about it and what spin this author could put on it. I wasn't left feeling disappointed and this is a terrific little book.

`Uglies' is set in a world whereupon your sixteenth birthday you have an operation to erase your every flaw and grant you utter perfection, transforming you from an everyday person (an `ugly') into a `pretty.' Being pretty entitles you to a perfect life of parties and having a good time- acceptance by beautiful people just like yourself, though no one realises that this comes with the ultimate price...

As I've said this was a very well written novel and seems very fitting in today's world where people are obsessed by celebrities and looks. The narrator, sixteen year-old Tally is a character who develops and changes as the book progresses and I really felt for her predicament- she starts off as not that likeable but then as a reader I did end up caring for her and wanting to know what would happen. This book in that sense, reminded me of `Delirium' where the protagonist finds their world turned upside down and with a difficult decision to make. The other secondary characters too, were well portrayed and I really found myself feeling for David and Shay.

The story is written in such a cleverly descriptive way that as a reader you naturally suspend your sense of disbelief and let the writing transport you to another place. I could clearly imagine the world of the Uglies and the Pretties and the people who Tally encountered. I would not hesitate in recommending this book to teens or adults alike and I am really looking forward to reading the rest of the series.
on 3 March 2017
A very good YA story that can be enjoyed by people of all ages. It raises questions about our current-day obsession with looks over personalities. The story moves at a good pace and the characters are well-written and believable. The story is straightforward with not many twists and turns but is an enjoyable story nevertheless. I look forward to reading the rest of this series.
on 22 August 2013
I was really excited to read this and after debating on whether to buy it or not I eventually did and I regret it.

The writing itself wasn't bad, the storyline was somewhat thought-provoking and it was a nice idea that does relate sort of to how people are now with physical appearance but this story overall is not good.

I kept feeling like there was a big mystery to it all, I kept feeling that there were going to be cliffhangers and something happening at the end to give you and enormous shock. Was there? No, nothing happened and it felt like the author was trying to write cliffhangers but they were so weak and brittle they disappointed me every time.

There was only one exciting piece that lasted all of two pages in the story and that was when the runaway doctors talked to Tally. The rest was padding and mostly about them travelling such as what bend they took on the hoverboard, how much food they had brought/ were taking, how much they didn't like the 'Pretties' it was all the same thing repeated over and over again and it left nothing to the imagination at all.

Pros:
It would be a good reading book for a girl aged between about 10-12 for school or when she's out and about.
It does provoke some thoughts about how our world is entirely central on appearance and being told what to like from a young age and how to look.
The concept is fairly interesting.
The price on Amazon is cheap.

Cons:
No cliffhangers.
No exciting ending.
Read the back cover and you've practically read the whole story anyway.
Nothing shocking happens, no drama it's all VERY PREDICTABLE and stereotypical.
It bored me so I read it as quickly as possible not wanting to leave it unfinished.
It isn't worth the money.

Is this a good read? No.
Should you be excited and rush to buy it? NO.
Will I be reading the sequel? NO.

I just wanted to point out I read this at 20 and I read A LOT of 'teen' fiction books and I have to say this one was right at the lowest end of the scale, whether I am too old for it or it just is that bad are up to you to decide. I do not recommend this book to anyone though.