Flavour: Tangerine|Change

VINE VOICEon 10 July 2016
Flavour: Tangerine|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )|Verified Purchase
What you get here is a BCAA mix of 2:1:1 ratio. If you're into your weight lifting then you'll know the benefits that these aminos bring. I've tried them in pill form and also powdered mix both from MyProtein. Many pre and intra workout mixes have them added too.

This product is sugar free (sweetener used is sucralose). You mix two scoops with water and it turns bright tangerine orange. It tastes pleasant - like a diluted orange squash. It's something I quite enjoyed and could see me using as an intra workout. You get 72 scoops/36 servings in the tub and a serving comes in at 35 calories. It's a very pleasant way to take a dose of aminos.

My only issues are that the packaging is a bit awkward. When you break the seal the outer cover keeps slipping off so you have to be careful not to lose it. It also doesn't say whether it's suitable for veggies or vegans. I've tweeted the company to ask but they haven't replied. I suspect it is okay for veggies but there's a chance the aminos are animal derived meaning not not suitable for vegans. There's lots of information on the packaging but it's difficult to read as the writing is tiny.

One last thing - this is not a pre workout mix. There's no caffeine in it. Many pre and intra workout mixes will contain BCAAs but the buzz you get is mainly from the caffeine. So don't buy this thinking it'll will do a similar job to a strong caffeine mix.

Overall a great product but with frustrating packaging with no veggie/vegan information provided.
review image
on 22 September 2013
A good BCAA is essential for any hard fitness training program and a drink like this, which mixes quickly and dissolves well, and tastes like a normal drink makes it a lot easier to fit it into your routine. Mix it up, stick in some ice and, if like me you are sat at a desk sip it through your day.
on 18 February 2014
It tastes good and it maybe effective but it contains E124 additive and by god you know it when you add water.

When you see it, its so orange it glows.......

Btw. E124 is banned in some countries.
Flavour: Tangerine|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Although it's packaged looking a lot like an energy drink for pre-workout use the real benefit of taking BCAA's is to minimise the damage to your muscles while you workout and promote their repair afterwards. There's no caffeine or Beta Alanine in here either so if you need that pre-workout boost you need to get that from another product. This USN BCAA Power Punch comes in a big tub covered in tiny printing and when you open it you discover it's literally half-full of product - I know products settle in transit but I wish supplement companies either had better spatial awareness or, perhaps more importantly, more respect for their customers and delivered things in appropriately sized tubs instead of half-empty ones. But anyway...

The powder smells a bit weird (like fruity beef) but actually tastes pretty good once you mix it with water in a shaker. It dissolves easily enough but the instructions (when you find your magnifying glass) say to shake it for 30 seconds. The tangerine flavour is totally fake but it masks or replaces any unpleasant taste the active ingredients may have well and this tastes like a drink you'd drink because you're thirsty and not a choke-it-down supplement. The amino profile seems good and there's no sugar or carb's in here, despite the sweet tangy flavour.

Of course it's difficult to quantify what the effects are - unless you find, as some people do, that you ache less because of taking BCAA's - but it's a very palatable way to slake your thirst if nothing else and if it comes with some added muscle-boosting benefit then that's great. The only thing that isn't so great is the price, it seems very pricey to me. For most of us there are 36 servings in the tub -- the recommended dose is 2 scoops in 500ml of water -- but if you're over 85kg in weight it's suggested to double the dose and use 4 scoops, so that gets even pricier.
on 15 July 2016
Flavour: Tangerine|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I regularly go to the gym and also do many dance and HIIT classes so often suffer from DOMS (those pesky post-exercise muscle aches). I was pleased to hear that these branched chain amino acids could help speed recovery and curb the aches.

The supplement comes in a HUGE pot that's only about half full with the mixing powder. A little plastic serving scoop is provided in the tub and it's easy to dispense the product.

It does advise you to mix 2 scoops in a shaker with 500-750ml of water which obviously works well, but I find that it's no problem just to drop it in a glass of water and stir it. It dissolves well into a radioactive looking orange drink.

The taste is absolutely VILE! It's really artificial tasting and you can certainly taste the artificial sweetener Acesulfame K (which is a questionable and potentially dangerous ingredient for your health in any food or drink and one I'd prefer not to be ingesting - very similar to aspartame). Taste-wise I think if you were used to using artificial sweeteners you might not find it so bad, but as I actively avoid them it was a bit of a surprise to my poor tastebuds.

If you are considering using this supplement in the long term you may want to look into this ingredient before continuing. It would be slightly ironic to try to improve your health and body with a product that could actually cause some serious health implications.

On the plus side there are no added sugars or carbs and Vitamin B6 has been included to aid the uptake of the BCAAs in your body. This is also handy since I was taking B6 separately.

Due to an absence of caffeine or other boosters this is not a fast acting pre-workout supplement, but that's certainly a bonus for me as I don't get on very well with products which are too stimulating as they keep me awake at night! This supplement seems to have no other immediate effects aside from improving my overall performance.

I find that I can drink this once a day, whatever time, and it aids my performance in the gym and in any cardio activity. I feel like I can work out for the same period but pushing myself a bit harder without feeling prematurely fatigued, or workout at the same pace as usual but for a bit longer. It obviously doesn't make you into some kind of superhero (!!) but it certainly does help you reach your limits. I also don't feel the muscle aches that I used to have afterwards - amazing!

There are 36 servings in the tub (unless you weigh over 85kg in which case it's half that amount as you're advised to take 4 scoops each time instead of 2).

Would I buy it? Probably not, but only due to the fact I wouldn't choose to take the artificial sweetener. I shall certainly be seeking a BCAA product but an alternative one which doesn't have this questionable ingredient.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 18 August 2016
Flavour: Tangerine|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I've tried a few BCAA products recently including the revolting-flavoured Warrior Supplements 360 g Blue Raspberry Aminos BCAA Powder and the quite tasty but overly-tingly USN BCAA Amino Gro Supplement, Fruit Fusion - 300 g. I'm still not sold on the benefits of BCAA supplementation - the scientific literature isn't very conclusive about it. What I can say is that this tangerine flavour is very drinkable compared to many; it has too much sweetener for my liking but that is the norm in these products unfortunately. At least this one tastes good.There's a high dose of vitamin B6 to be aware of, glutamine and BCAAs in 2:1:1 ratio.

Unlike USNs other BCAA supplement I've tried that gave me significant (and nearly immediate) paresthesia (pins & needles - more like a prickly tingling sensation), I believe this one has lower beta-alanine concentrations so I didn't notice much sensation. Again, I was also irritated by the partially-full tub (pictured when first opened) - sold by weight not volume, but still a bit misleading to the buyer.

I train regularly but don't do body building / muscle isolation so I can't really justify the spend on this product myself. It's better value than some BCAA on the market and is very drinkable stuff during training - no issues of gastric distress or bad taste lingering. It's probably my favourite of these BCAA supplements but I'm not sold on these being a must-have part of my diet.
review image
VINE VOICEon 22 July 2016
Flavour: Tangerine|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Im not a huge fitness fanatic and go to the gym 2-3 times a week for a basic maintenance routine .This is mainly down to the fact I have arthritis and my physio and my body told me its better getting regular exercise , especially on my leg muscles .
I have never really used any supplements for gym workouts- for a while I used to take some soya protein and someone told me beetroot juice helps with workout strength- but it had an adverse reaction to my bowels !
So I was curious about trying this. Firstly it blends well enough , the taste is a bit bitter- not tongue scrapping awful but not so good I would sip it.
You are meant to take it 2 teaspoons mixed together in a shaker or sometimes I just stir it in a glass as it does blend well. You take it during or after your workout .
I sometimes feel a bit sluggish and my legs can ache if my arthritis is playing up , and also when I'm premenstrual. I'm trying to build my workout up more and doing activities like the trx classes but my legs have been very painful after in the past. Which usually ends up in me giving up classes !
I haven't noticed any fatigue since using this product and have been able to gradually increase my routine- even when generally my legs would be aching they seem to be building up better.
To be honest I was pretty surprised - its not a miracle solution but more a very subtle progress and I have been able to go a whole month gradually increasing my workout and not feel so fatigued . Its great because Im not expanding my routine to new classes and workouts that I wouldn't have tried before .At first I thought this was expensive but I haven't used a lot but for the relief of not feel sore and my health improving its definitely worth it.
Even if you not a body builder or high fitness fanatics I would say consider this. If you genreally have any aches, fatigue or want to just increase your fitness I would suggest trying this.
VINE VOICEon 19 July 2016
Flavour: Tangerine|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
First impressions: I found this was VERY difficult to open (and still do). It comes in a smooth round tub, which is uncomfortably large for my (small and feminine!) hands to grip. On top of that, the product information is printed on a loose plastic wraparound which just slides round and round when I try to take the lid off.

Mixing: it mixes easily. Two scoops in 500ml of water is what they recommend, and I found it mixes in really easily (you don’t have to shake for 30 secs as it says in the instructions!).

Colour: It is ORANGE! Really, really orange. It has even stained my water bottle orange! What’s this about then? You’d think that this would be a product aimed at people who are trying to stay healthy – so why all the extra colouring chemicals???

Taste: This is where, for me, it starts to gain points. I quite like the taste (although I agree this is a very personal thing). At least it isn’t too sweet – which is a great relief.

Does it work? Well, I have used it before and after a training run – and I definitely thought that I had more energy during the run and recovered quicker afterwards.
I have also used it on a day long hill walk (I took two x 50ml bottles of water with me and made it up as I needed it); I found it refreshing to drink during the walk, and probably helpful in reducing tiredness – though it’s hard to say.

Overall, I am quite impressed with it and intend to keep using it.
Flavour: Tangerine|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I`ve used Optimum Nutrition`s pre-workout punch, and that stuff had me buzzing for about 24 hours. Can`t say I cared for the flavour much though. This, to my tastes, is a very pleasant orange flavour - albeit one that is too bright to convince anyone that it is anything other a million miles from a real tangerine. It is annoying that to open the seal you must lose all the plastic wrap around the container, so I have had to write on the tub in pen the ratio of water to scoop and I have also lost all the ingredient information. You double the number of scoops per 500ml of water from two to four if you are over 85kg (and I`m a good few kilos lighter than that), so I thought it tasted a little weak. I may tweak this ratio a bit.

What is stranger still, is that I have noticed absolutely no effects after taking this. When I was on the exercise bike, treadmill and weights later I didn`t notice a thing. I was genuinely expecting something - bad or good - but I really didn`t feel any more energised, less achey, more anything or less anything. I`ll keep plugging away with a bit more powder until something happens, but my wife likes it as just a drink to take to work and she says she felt a little more energised. So, if it tastes good and the ingredients are good then I can`t really knock it, just because it didn`t make me turn into a ADHD kitten (which was pretty close to how the ON punch made me feel).
VINE VOICEon 14 July 2016
Flavour: Tangerine|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Those who are used primarily to taking protein powder will perhaps be surprised at how small this tub of powder is. Do not be discouraged because the scoop inside is really small and you only need 2 in your drink bottle. I have been training hard for a few weeks and was feeling generally quite fatigued, so I thought it was a good time to try this. I can't say if this works or not, but only that after a workout I have sipped down a bottle and I do feel energised, and actually quite quickly. USN say it is proven, I think you will just have to see if it works for you

These type of products are notoriously bitter as opposed to the rancid cheesiness of protein powder. Given the bitterness, I think the choice of tangerine as a flavouring is inspired as it results in a quite authentic bitter orange sort of taste that works. I wouldn't go as far as USN and call it delicious but it is pleasant enough to sip, which as it is an advertised use during training isn't bad.

All in all this is easy to mix, tastes quite nice, is easy to get down and makes you feel energised after exercise. Whether it helps you achieve your training goals is up to you, but it might help and therefore I can recommend it.

See one answered question