on 24 April 2012
One of the more useful downloads, and its very easy to search for the "good stuff" And its also not as bulky to take on holidays. 10/10
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 25 February 2015
Really useful information
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
VINE VOICEon 1 March 2009
The Lonely Planet guides are always, I find, so reliable. (This being said, I've only bought them USA destinations.) Now that I'm planning a four week road trip next year, I had to buy this.

Each state has it's own guide, with the typical list of recommended sites, places to eat and of course accommodation for varied budgets.

There's a hand full of road trip recommendations... all very tempting. This is great if you really don't know where to start. There's also the usual guide about how to to get about, car rental, flights, taxis, etc - essential for your planning.

I've booked up about half my trip already, and most of that has been done after reading sections of this book.
It's incredibly helpful, and I whole-heartedly recommend it. (If for some reason it all goes wrong, though, I'll be back on here telling you otherwise!)
on 23 January 2011
Used this alongside the Route 66: Traveller's Guide and Roadside Companion for a 3,500 mile trip from Chicago to San Francisco, taking in swathes of old Route 66, the Grand Canyon, Death Valley, Yosemite, Vegas and plenty of others. Fantastic guide, very handy to have maps and phone numbers for hotels/motels, as there are a surprising amount that aren't on the internet.
Can't count the number of times it was leafed through as we approached a tiny little town for some information. Best tenner spent on the whole trip!
on 4 April 2008
We are planning a fly-drive trip to the USA and we have been looking for information/things to do in places.We initially looked at the Foders books but then stumbled across this book. What a fantastic informative book, the only problem with having this book is we need to book a longer holiday !!!
It is excellent value for money and a must have for fly-drive touring of the USA.
on 13 May 2010
Great book if you plan on going travelling in the States. There's loads of info on accommodation, eating places, things to do, places to visit, tours etc for just about every area. Also lots of useful information on National Parks. There are numerous handy street maps of towns and cities. Separate sections on the history and culture of the country are interesting and informative. A few nice colour photographs also help to whet the traveller's appetite. It's a one stop shop for gathering ideas on where to go and what to do when you're there. I'd recommend it to any would-be USA road tripper.
on 9 March 2011
I've used Lonely Planet guides for years and been very impressed by the detail and accuracy. This book certainly has these but I am annoyed by the writing in many of the newest Lonely Planets. Informality is fine, but they are now using more and more teen-speak and flippancy; 'cool' 'vibe' ' most happening' etc. and seeming worried if a destination doesn't fit those words, which themselves are getting dated. Maybe I'm just getting old. I'm defecting back to Rough Guides and Footprint for serious coverage.
22 Comments| 15 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 9 April 2013
Over the last few years the writers on these once good and usefull guides seem to have lost the plot. This book is a prime example lots of errors and a lot of superfluous twee information., The Contributors seem to be interested in stating how well travelled they are and have produced a real ego trip of a guide rather than putting usefull information together. The maps are ok, the public transport information poor, and the choices of accommodation have a heavy bias to the Style of decor and wifi availability, the useful stuff like location, noise, security, comfort. etc seem to have mostly been ignored.
Just before the defenders come ploughing in, I have done extensive travell world wide mostly back packing and with spells lasting 2 and half years so I feel I have earned some degree of experience when using these guides and what I should expect from a guide. The USA guide it by far the worst Lonely Planet Guide I have used. It does make for a good door stop though.
on 11 February 2010
Bought this for my big road trip thru the states and im glad i did as it served me so well and was a bargain price with quick delivery. I honestly would recommend all u regular travellers to purchase a lonely planet before heading off anywhere as it probably pays itself off within the 1st couple of days as the info u get is gold!
on 31 October 2009
Accurate quality as ever great heavy read just pick out what you need inside information helps with a wide range of info telephone numbers post codes roads must see informative read a must buy not to big to take with you read on the plane and enjoy its guide to the usa