Customer reviews

UQ Holder 1
Format: Paperback|Change

on 26 April 2014
This interested me because it was shounen featuring vampires; most of the vampire manga I've come across has been shoujo focusing way too much on romance. The plot sounded intriguing and I found this first volume lived up to my interest and I ended up reading something a bit different from anything I'd read before. There is a bit of fighting (battles) but they are brief and the emphasis is more on character and plot. Yeah! I'm totally fond of the main character, highschooler Tota Konoe; he has a full range of emotions and in this volume is naive and unworldly, though I think that will change rather quickly. The story is dystopian set in a future Tokyo and (rest of the world) where population has decreased dramatically and we've entered into space living/travel but magic has recently been discovered as well. So far for age appropriateness there is male adolescent talk of females, a busty female vampire and nudity that is complete but has towels etc. conveniently placed. I've seen more risque bits in 13+ rated so will hold my judgement until I've read another volume or two as to whether I agree or not. I'm quite excited about this series, the mix of sci-fi, paranormal and magic promises to be exciting and the maturity of the plot is appealing. The art I found to be quite typical, though.
VINE VOICEon 6 August 2014
Tôta Konoe has been living in an isolated country village for the last two years after a car accident killed his parents and gave him amnesia. Raised by the mysterious and strict teacher Yukihime, Tôta dreams of nothing more than to travel to the capital and clime the space elevator to seek his fortune with his friend. When a bounty hunter comes to town however, Tôta's life is turned upside down and he is forced to make a choice that will change his life forever.

'UQ Holder!' is the latest (and possibly last) series by Ken Akamatsu and is set in the same world as his previous series 'Negima!', around seventy to eighty years later. Although you don't need to have read 'Negima!' to understand this series, it probably does help somewhat and there are a number of references to the previous series here and there. The main theme of this series is immortality and it is quite interesting how it explores the natures of its different forms.

This fist volume is mostly just setting things up for the series, introducing three of the main characters (Tôta, Yukihime and Kurômaru) and giving some information on the current state of the world. Of the main characters Tôta is probably the weakest being the closest Akamatsu has ever got to a standard shônen main character (something that has annoyed some fans) but I still think he has some good points, even if he is an idiot most of the time. My favourite character from this volume though is probably Kurômaru who has a humorously serious personality and interesting character design.

The artwork for the series is of typical Akamatsu style, although there is less in the way of fanservice than in some of his previous series. As with many of Akamatsu's previous works, he does reuse some character designs (Kurômaru is very similar to Setsuna Sakurazaki) but anyone who has read his work should be used to that by now. The fighting is nicely drawn, and is probably a little bloodier than in the majority of 'Negima!', with the battle at the end of the first chapter being particularly good.

The translation of the chapter is relatively good (although I do have a few minor issues with some things) with the Japanese honorifics intact. There are some translation notes but rather than put them in the back of the book as some series do, they are done as bullet points on the relevant page.

Many 'Negima!' fans were disappointed about how that series ended and this has led some to look unfavourably on this series as well and while I still greatly enjoy this series, even I would say it isn't quite as good as its predecessor. Despite this though, I do think this first volume shows a lot of promise and I feel it has a better pacing when read as collected volume than it does when read weekly. Overall I feel this first volume is worth a low five stars but five nonetheless.
on 28 March 2014
At first I wasn't sure if this was a knock off or a scam but as I read I laughed, got excited and thought "wow" from start to finish then I knew it's a proper Ken Akamatsu book.
I noticed some characters from previous titles (I won't say which) and I can't wait to see the next UQ Holder.
on 4 January 2015
A great tie in with the previous work Negima. I would recommend you to read Negima first, since the world in UQ Holder is the result of the ending of Negima.

It keeps the same charms as previous title as well, nudity, friendship, and a lot of battles. A must read if you liked Evangeline (sp?) from Negima, or if you just like the idea of immortality. Another obvious reason to read this, is to see what the future of Negima's world contains.

I've liked all works by Ken except his oldest kind like A.I. Love You, and it is good to know he keeps delivering the same greatness but in a different way for each new title he makes.
on 13 December 2015
Good manga series. Based on the books already published it isn't as good as Negima with much less fan service and not as many cute girls but is still very enjoyable. It has an original and interesting plot that isn't just a continuation of Negima but is a decent story in its own right.
on 10 March 2015
A lot of great character development and world-building.
Character and background art is very detailed.
Some nice twists, even in the very first chapter.
Not every shonen manga has a main character whose dream is to be a singer but has to give it up to learn to fight.
on 11 January 2016
Interesting idea for a follow on. Some characters revised but with different mechanic. More gore than negima but still some light hearted banter. Some fan service but low key
on 3 July 2014
negima and love hina are two of Ken akamatsu series but UQ holder is just as great none stop comedy an action well worth a read you will thoroughly enjoy
on 2 March 2015