on 8 November 2012
I am familiar with The Sun newspaper crosswords and I can usually complete them using just the cryptic clues.
However,the puzzles contained in this book are a different matter altogether.I have now attempted roughly half of them and managed to complete only maybe five or six.And that's using both sets of clues.After looking at the solutions I still don't understand some of the answers.
It is also littered with mistakes.Here is one example:Clue-Ancient harp,Answer-Lute.Wrong,an ancient harp is a lyre.(A lute is the forerunner of the guitar).
Disappointing.
3 people found this helpful
|22 Comments|Report abuse
on 8 August 2017
These collections suit me just fine, I always buy them when I can find one I haven't had before.
on 13 August 2017
Am addicted to these crossword books. They are becoming more difficult though!
on 7 May 2013
This is a very good book if you want puzzles that can challenge you and an extra plus is you can do them with a partner who may prefer the cryptic or the simple clues. That's what I do with my foreign partner who is excellent at English but can't be expected to do the cryptic clues. I prefer cryptic...a case of Jack Spratt.
One person found this helpful
on 6 January 2017
Good value, well pleased.
on 18 August 2015
it is identical with the one we've just finished. On your advert you date it as 2014 but it is 2002. It is not possible to discern that an edition is later than ones we've already had. I have written to you before - and you said you would remedy the information. Something distinctive needs to be on the front cover to distinguish editions.
on 5 December 2015
Great Xword book - lots of puzzles, moderately taxing, my 99 yr old Mum loved it!
on 6 December 2012
Different from the actual paper sun crossword only completed 18 out of 160. very, very frustrating to say the least
3 people found this helpful
on 5 December 2017
As good as previous versions.
on 10 February 2013
For a long time I have been doing the Daily Star Two-way teaser, but these seem to be very short in supply, so now on to The Sun. Not quiet as easy as Daily Star, but getting there.