on 9 May 2014
The trouble with starting a good book, is that once you get into the flow with the characters a where the plot is going, you don't want it to end. Yes you know the 'Bad Guys' will be caught, but you don't want the chase to end. I felt like this all the way through the fourth in this series of DS Lasser books and if I was honest, the other 3 are as enjoyable. You should read them in sequence, as although these are separate stand alone stories, I always find that building up the history of the characters is a large part of any book. This book is fast paced and you can see the undercurrent of Lasser's history breaking through. He is a 'Good Cop', who's only aim is to get the 'Bad Guy', whatever it takes. He doesn't take orders too well and treads his own path and I feel that the author is old enough to remember 'The Sweeny' & 'D.I.Frost', as I feel that this type of true, but not always straight cop comes out in DS Lasser. If some producer happens to read one or two of these books, I could see this character in a mini TV series.
I would highly recommend all the 4 books in this series and unfortunately finished No. 4 last night, so I will have to wait until No. 5 is released. Happy hunting Lasser.
DS Lasser goes from strength to strength. All the characters are believable human beings with flaws and foibles and the Wigan of the books is an excellently portrayed, realistic place which is character in itself. This is another great tale in the series. If you haven't read the earlier books, you're missing a trick ...
on 4 January 2017
Another grisly crime thriller in the DS Lasser series, the last for this reader. Gratuitous violence, twisted minds and unlikable characters do not make for entertaining reading.
on 23 March 2015
A darker tale with less humour than others in the Lasser/Bannister dynamic duo series, and their love/hate relationship. Nonetheless, this is another gripping read from a master storyteller.

I simply couldn’t put it down.
on 1 January 2015
Five stars definitely enjoyed this book from start to finish didn't think it was going to be as volume 3 but it was even better
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 August 2017
Hi I have now read 12 of his books please don't kill him off I feel as if I know him personally and all the places you write about I can't put them down I feel as though I know all the characters brilliant.
on 21 January 2017
Having read the previous three books I was looking forward to this one but was a bit disappointed. The plot was over complicated and not very plausible. Still like the characters and will try the next one, maybe some of the unanswered questions from this one will become clearer.
on 27 March 2017
Book is well written. I can understand the negativity of crimes that are portrayed but that is life.
on 21 April 2014
An tense tale of murder resulting in the man hunt of a mentally unstable, vicious serial killer who is driven on by voices in his head. A clever plot which presents Lasser with a challenging case and a steady stream of bodies to collect along the way.

If you love a good, fast paced crime thriller then this is the book for you, brilliantly written and a very easy, satisfying read.
on 11 July 2014
Sgt Lasser is fast becoming my hero, he won't rest until he's caught his bad guys, he's far from perfect but I'm getting to be rather fond of the curmudgeonly old sod!!

In my opinion this is the best in the series so far, blood and violence abound so don't read if you're easily offended or like your thrillers to be gentle Agatha Christie type whodunit

I like that the reader and the police know who the offender is, it makes for great reading how Flynn manages to escape their clutches over and over again, I got the identity of the "voice" in Flynns head wrong, I was convinced it was either his mother or sister, I won't give the game away and say who it was but I didn't guess so that was a good twist.

Hurry up Amazon and get the next Lasser book ready for download......I'm getting withdrawal symptoms already!
44 Comments| 2 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse