Customer reviews

on 23 March 2017
I bought this book for my impending trip to Peru. Right from the start this book is mixed with humour as well as the history on the Incas. I really felt that I could relate to the author as I too have no experience of trekking or camping, so hearing it from the perspective of the average person who isn't an expert/adventurer has been really useful.
on 10 August 2017
Brilliant book, dry humour and easy to read. Bought it after reading the reviews, especially when some said they wished they'd read it before visiting Peru. Im walking the Inca Trail in a few weeks, and this has added to my excitement. Going to re read before i go to familiarise myself with the locations, villages and route so i can recognise them when i'm there 😊👣👌
on 15 October 2017
Bought for my husband as we want to travel to Peru soon.
on 20 July 2017
lovely, still reading it
on 8 November 2017
Great
on 11 September 2013
I am soon travelling to Machu Picchu and this book was recommended by someone who had just returned. He was right that it is better to read this book before travelling. It has opened up the history, geography and social history of the area in such a readable and informative way. I can't wait to get there. I feel so much better prepared for what I hope to see and experience. I am glad that I have opted for an easier way of getting to Machu Picchu than the author though.
on 21 April 2015
Immediately engaging, Mark Adams takes us right into the heart of Inca country, as he interweaves his own exploration of Hiram Bingham’s great 1911 discovery, with the explorer’s own life and public promotion.

Colourfully bringing the rainforest, strange characters and 15th century mystical ruins to life, this is an excellent approach to bring past and present attitudes into perspective, with a lively and highly readable account of his own findings.

Anyone with even a passing interest in life will find this an entertaining, enjoyable and intriguing read.
on 5 August 2014
I would definitely recommend this book to anyone going to macchu picture and/or doing the inca trail. It tells you a lot About the history of the incas, about the discoveries by hiram Bingham and what to expect on the walk but in an amusing, alternative way of getting the information. I wished I'd started it earlier as I was only a third of the way through when we were there, but it really helped. I especially liked his self-deprecating way he tackled the treks and the image of john- ex encounter overland - is so true to people I've come across. Having now come back it is harder to finish it, but it still makes me want to do longer treks like he did. Just 4 days doesn't seem enough when reading all the routes they took. I hope more people read it and review it, it should be 'the book' for anyone travelling to cusco area.
VINE VOICEon 17 August 2011
"Therefore I poured out My fury on them for the blood they had shed on the land, and for their idols with which they had defiled it." -- Ezekiel 36:18 (NKJV)

My only regret about this book is that it didn't come as a full-color documentary video instead. Words are inadequate (no matter how well written) for capturing the scenes from this book. Fortunately, there is a map and there are some photographs . . . or much of the richness of what's contained here would be lost.

Mark Adams is a masterful storyteller who carefully weaves together many types and layers of perspective to provide an overall impression of what Machu Picchu and the surrounding ruins say about humanity . . . then, since then, and now. He also appreciates the humor inherent in human foolishness, and he generously portrays such in ways that let you enjoy the humor as well.

I particularly appreciated the way that Mr. Adams let the full perspective on Hiram Bingham III gradually emerge from Mr. Adams's own reading, experiences, and musings. The result was to make the book into a sort of "whodunit."

Much of the humor is based on wry ironies. Surface and depth may reveal different characteristics.

Perhaps the greatest irony is that those who come to Machu Picchu often overlooks its greatest qualities, the glorification of God's creation, in favor of something of little lasting value such as something to sell.

If you are thinking of going to Machu Picchu, read this book first. You'll probably conduct your visit much differently as a result.

Bravo, Mr. Adams!
on 25 July 2016
Such a fabulous read. I only wish I read it before I went to Machu Picchu rather than afterwards. A great educational and adventurous read.