VINE VOICEon 29 December 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I've used TuneUp for years now, I've always been very impressed with the various features and functions that you don't get built into windows. However I'm really not that keen on this new ones. Firstly out the box is the numerous number of agreements that one must tick, allowing data share, newsletters and all sorts that I really don't want to agree too, but have no choice if I want to install. Do I really have to subscribe to your newsletter to install the program?

Secondly the program when installed decided to use half German and half English. I could navigate through the menus OK, but every now and again certain functions or warnings were only in German and I can't find where the change the language settings to all English.

However, once installed the functionality was still there, you can defrag the registry, clean up all kinds of latent and unused files, streamline your system and a dozen other things just through one program. Very very useful. You also get links to free windows themes and backgrounds, not essential but a nice touch.

I would normally have given this a 5/5, but I do feel that this particular version is a bit of a let down, I un-installed it after less than an hour.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The one stop shop side (One click tuneup) which you can schedule to run automatically at chosen intervals and also you can just choose to run at any time in between if you so wish. This is for the non-expert PC user, who just wants a piece of software that can keep his/her computer reasonably well tuned up and performing to nearly its best without having to go digging around the rest of the program to perhaps more "manual" cleaning of the computer. It gets rid of things like temp files, compacts files, defrags, cleans up registry and so on.

The second side to the software is the list of more manual tuning options. These range from, running the individual options (some of which are already in the one click tune up mentioned above) which allow you to decide which functions and areas of the PC to tune up but also contains a memory tune up option which is real time. There are however some more invasive routines which will get to back-up areas of the PC which i didn't know I could get to nor that I knew existed. Such as cleaning up batches of back-up files and restore points which are old and not needed; also some further registry and start-up tune up routines which help to generally remove the background processes which I never knew were running and are annoyingly leftovers from software I have tried and decided not to bother with again.

A criticism which I had of the 2009 version (last time I had this software) was that some if the tune up solutions offered didn't progress automatically, you had to follow on screen instructions and get into the parts of your operating system which normally you would never look at. However, this latest version takes care of all of that with one click by accepting recommendations, which give you pros and cons of accepting the tube ups.

So all in all, this TuneUp Utilities 2013 package should keep experts and non experts happy. To get the most improvement you do need to use the full extent of the software, so in my opinion the one click option only gets 80% there. You need to use the expert mode to get close to 100% of possible performance. I have noticed significant improvements, particularly when starting up the computer and when opening multiple programs/windows.

Enthusiastically recommended.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
The only questions I normally ask about this type of software are: Does it work? Will I notice a difference? Is it easy to install and manage?

The answers. It installed easy enough. The menu options are neatly laid out, easy to follow and it takes you through each section to tune up your PC/Laptop. I confess I didn't have a clue what I was doing most of the time but continued pressing buttons when prompted until I acheived computing, or rather tune-up, nirvana - a big green tick in this case. Interestingly when it initially installed it immediately jumped to the tune-up website and installed updates/patches which appeared to state they were from 2009?!

Does it work? It seemed to identify a number of problems and space I could save and prompted me to click various buttons until it told me I was fixed. I wasn't however expecting the long close down as it checked the HDD for errors, didn't warn me about that before I hit the button. Luckily I had a book to read so got on with that for the 2+hrs it was checking the drive.

Does it work? If I could translate a shrug of the shoulders onto a page, that's what you'd be getting now, along with blowing out cheeks and a 'who knows' scratch of the head. Certainly I've seen no discernable difference in speed booting up or closing down. Programs seem to take the same amount of time to deploy once the icon is clicked, hence; the blown out cheeks, head scratching and shoulder shrug. Does that mean that my system was OK despite the items flagged up on the report? My son's the IT expert, maybe he's been tinkering with my laptop when he drops my grandson off at the weekend, covertly keeping dad's laptop running at optimal performance! Doubt it. So the best answer I can give is; probably.

To sum up. It's idiot (Me) proof and easy to use, however, I haven't noticed any discernable difference in speed or performance. That doesn't mean that the program hasn't done anything, just that I've honestly not seen any difference. Is it worthwhile? Probably. My son uses something similar on his computers at home but then he's an advanced user and maybe gets more out of the software he uses. He did say that this one of the better software utility companys and a decent program for non-IT people wanting to keep their PC's running at optimal performance.

Update: 20/5/13 - It does seem to be making a difference. My laptop certainly appears to be booting up and shutting down a bit quicker than it used to, the system tells me it's doing stuff on a regular basis and my system does feel as if it is working faster and stuff that potentially slows the system is flagged up usually after its been dealt with; so I'm officially impressed, hence why I've given it an extra star.
TOP 100 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 17 February 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I'm no IT expert, far from it, if this review appears too short or limited then please excuse me.

Installed TuneUp Utilities onto my 8 year old PC which runs on Windows XP. Installation was via a CD and simple to perform. Just a matter of pressing the right buttons as required.

Immediately after installation the software performed an update and busied itself downloading necessary files, programming, without me having any control over what was being downloaded. That's my first negative. You do need to understand the product and know how to control it. TuneUp independently, automatically, makes changes to your operating system. That's it's function. Some people will be happy allowing the software to run under it's own control and others won't.

After two weeks there's no evidence of the operating system slowing down while the software runs in the background. So far I'm problem free but; there's no discernible improvement in the operating speed of my single user 'home' PC. I'm 50/50 and quite neutral about TuneUps. Wouldn't use it again.

The product has a German manufacturer, supplier, I've had no issues with language and they have a decent website.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Like a whole lot of people I use a computer but am too busy to really learn what goes on inside and importantly how to fix the thing.

Just like my car I know how it works and I can get the Haynes Manual and do most simple jobs getting the experts in to do the hard and complicated stuff.

Simply put if you can afford to get some one else to do it for you then why not get them to do it?

So this Tune up Utilities is just that.
A cheapish way to get a programme to tune up your computer for you.

It's easy to install click a few buttons and it's off.

It seems to work and really does clean up and makes your computer just that biut faster/

The license is for one machine only so if you have a couple you may need to get a multi user license.
Simply put it works in the back ground and gets on with its job.

Simple to use but worth it if you are able to afford it.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
As others have mentioned, this product has the slight drawback that there are a lot of agreement boxes to be checked, ticked and generally filled in on installation.
Once this is done however, using this version of TuneUp is a breeze.

Like other versions, it does a thorough job of seeking out applications running in the background and hogging memory.

It's very safe and sturdy to use - mine has never caused any problems and I've never had to undo anything that it has done because it deleted something vital.

From the point of view of getting rid of 'nasties', the easy to use registry cleaner is probably the most useful; the fact that registry checks can be set to run automatically is particularly handy.

A now well-trusted piece of software that definitely has its place in the market - easily outperforms anything you can obtain for free, and is a much safer bet.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Having used earlier versions of "TuneUp Utilties" I was pleased to be able to use this updated 2013 version. The programme loads quickly and works well. Impressed with the amount of space cleaned up and how fast the computer now works. While many tune up programmes work well - I have always found the TuneUp Utilies to be the easiest to set up.
A good buy. Excellent infact.
TOP 50 REVIEWERon 29 March 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
I liked the idea of having all of those handy little utilities for cleaning up my pc in one box. So I got hold of this software and put it on my pc. Took ages to set up mainly cos of the 3 million characters you have to type in to register - oh and you have to sign your life away also (!?) and then it sets up and rebooted THREE times on my pc before it installed properly.

So I finally got round to running the "Tune-Up 1-click maintenance" which also took a long time to run. But it did all of this:
Clean registry
Defrag Registry
Remove broken shortcuts
Clean up windows and programs
Clean up browser
Optimise System Setup and Shutdown
Defrag Hard Disc.

So how was my pc after all this? Absolutely no different whatsoever! It still runs as fast/slow as it did before hand. It failed to delete some unused icons on my desktop where the programs have been deleted (exactly what it said it WOULD do)

Another example of it failing to deliver what it promised: It said that there were something like 1200 problems with the registry. So after the cleanup (when it said it had successfully removed ALL of them) I thought I'd do another report on them... the result? There were still 240 of them there! Hmmmm not that great then.

This piece of software isn't even as good as some of the free software I've downloaded and used (like C-Cleaner). So, sorry I can't recommend this software on my experience of it.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 20 November 2012
With Windows 7 and Windows 8 managing to do a number of the functions of these type of software packages it is often stated in magazines that they are not really necessary. I, however, do like them.
I have used this particular one since the very early versions which seem to find numerous registry and other problems no matter how often you do a scan.
It did correctly identify that my C:\Drive is a Solid State Drive (SSD) and correctly did not offer to run the disk defragmentation utility as these are not recommended for SSD drives.
The PC always seems to run OK either with or without Registry Cleaners and Tune Up Utilities but I routinely like to use it anyway.
I prefer not to select the automatic maintenance option as I like to see what it is recommending before I go ahead.
It would be a good idea to have a "benchmark test" built in to prove the validity of running the software as having tried the Turbo Mode I do not notice any difference but as I am using a fairly high specification PC this is probably understandable. A good thing is that the software is not following the trend of only running for 12 months before you need to pay up again and continues to use the "up to 3 PC's" licensing system.
I think the only limitation is that you can not use product support to answer queries after 12 months.
on 8 February 2013
Great for the price.Would recommend. Good value,prompt delivery.Loads of different parts to use,cleans up well,very happy with this latest version.