Format: Paperback|Change

on 20 December 2005
Lucy Grealy and Ann Patchett shared the kind of intimate friendship that most of us would be lucky to experience. According to "Truth and Beauty" Lucy lived life at the extremes of happiness and despair, whilst Ann was the stabilizing influence who tried to make her life easier, happier and longer. I doubt that I am the only reader who found Lucy to be both annoying and heroic by turns. Ann's unfaltering friendship, on the other hand, is remarkable, as is that of Lucy's other friends. So much so, that I came to view this less as an account of Lucy's life, and more as an account of the feats that the love and dedication of friends can accomplish.
on 9 April 2012
A had a wonderful time reading this book. It improved my quality of my life immensely over the three days that I absorbed it. A highly recommended read for anyone with strong, cherished friendships in their life. Thanks Ann.
on 1 January 2008
I was disappointed with a lot of this book. I had just finished Autobiography of a Face and wanted to read this one to get a fuller picture of Lucy Grealy.

I do think Ann Patchett writes well, but I really found this much less interesting to read than Lucy Grealy's book. I found their whole relationship strange. . . from the day Lucy jumps up to Ann and hugs her fiercely in Iowa (without really knowing eachother) to the very end.

At one point, Patchett states that Lucy says something like "I provided you with a way of feeling good about yourself". . .actually, I'm misquoting--I don't remember the exact quote and don't want to look it up-- but the point is the same. Patchett was shocked and upset. But, really, their friendship seemed so one-sided. I know some people do really thrive on being needed, but healthy people thrive on being needed and loved as well as loving and needing. Ann Patchett seemed to just love and need without caring that she wasn't loved and needed as much in return. It was a very weird, one-sided type of relationship.

Still, I'd recommend reading it if you read Grealy's book and liked it, and if you want to know more about her life.
on 24 October 2016
A deeply moving book and a touching example of an examined life.
on 22 January 2017
I throughly enjoyed this book. Thank you for writing it.
on 1 February 2014
This was very interesting to read I hadn't realised how intertwined authors' lives were usually competing with each other for jobs and awards
on 31 March 2016