Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on 28 October 2006
This book has the same humour and 'grit' typical of all Gemmell novels.
It continues from Troy - Lord of the Silver Bow. Although the main characters in this book feature only briefly in the first novel, it does have many of the same characters such as Helikaon, Andromache and Oddyeus. The main characters in this book are Banokles and Kalliades.

This book, which is sadly Gemmells last, is in my opinion not one of Gemmells very best but is never the less a gripping read.
I have read 22 of Gemmells 30 novels and not one has been a 'bad' book. Some i'll admit are better than others, but it is an amazing feat to write such a wealth of novels, and at the such high standard. He was very ill when he was writing it, so its amazing that he managed to write it at all.
David Gemmell wrote many gripping novels and was undoubtedly the best in his field. His books had humour, great characters, and that made him the best known heroic fantasy author.
I'm sure his novels will be read by future generations.
on 14 August 2006
I was deeply saddened to read about the death of David Gemmell on Orbit's publishing web page. He has been a superb writer of epic fantasy and I loved his Lord of the silver bow book. I will be devastated to hear that he was unable to complete this trilogy before his untimely death. I send my sincerest condolences to his family and friends and speaking as one of his many fans he will be greatly missed. Thank you David for all your wonderful stories you will not be forgotten.
on 16 August 2006
I started reading David's books when I was 14. Twenty years & a BA hons in Literature, later I'm still reading them. I find that the themes of courage & redemention, that thread all the way through his novels, speak to me now as deeply as they did when I was an adolescent.His latest work in my opinon was some of his best and it's a tradegy that his sudden death has robbed us all of his talent.
on 21 October 2006
I agree with those who expressed sorrow on hearing that David Gemmell had passed away, and like many others I am an avid reader of all his books, but this a review so. The first book was a fast paced book that seemed to rush up to the start of war (in a good way), this one begins three years later with the war started and the two sides trying to out manover each other, and take as much of the Great Green as possible. This is a well written book and I have to admit I love some of the characters Kallides and Banokles especially, and these two are often the main characters in this one as well as the last. The main problem though is it is a middle book and feels like one, slow in places as it builds up to the last book (I hope david's wife is going to finish it a fitting tribute). A few parts feel rushed, but all in all it keeps you hooked and continues the story well, although i admit to finding it difficult to feel anything for Achillies, Hektor or the rest as we already know what is going to happen in the end, but it is fun reading a fantasy author's idea of it.
on 15 September 2006
I was stunned and saddened to hear the news that David Gemmell had passed away. I was always struck by the strength of loyalty and friendship in his acknowledgements to his family and friends. These qualities amidst the fantasy and daring were the bedrock of his books. The novels and the words reflected the man and although the literary world is the sadder for his passing, our thoughts rest with his family who have lost a loyal and talented friend and husband and father.
on 2 October 2006
Sadly David Gemmell's last book before his death is somewhat of a disappointment. Lacking the fast pace of Lord of the Silver Bow it is still a good read but rather predictable. Characters and story line offer nothing new and plot development is very formulaic. Having said that Gemmell was justifiably viewed by many as the greatest fantasy author for a generation. Even at his lowest ebb his work is far above the dross that comprises most of the genre. So buy the book but don't have too high expectations.
on 8 May 2007
In the 1970's I read all of Tolkien, in the early 1980's I read all of Moorcock, then work, marriage and children, recently I have read all of Scarrow, Iggulden, Pressfied and Manfredi; you know where this leads, to the very last of David Gemmell's novels, the trojan war trilogy. Hence the heartbreak! The first book, 'The Lord of The Silver Bow' is exquisite in the way it establishes the main characters, breathes into them soul, and paints an utterly believable picture of the nature of civilisation at that time. The book seperates the many strands that make up the eventual story told by virtuous Greek historians.

This second book of the trilogy, although temporalily abandoning characters you wish to hear more of, slowly weaves the strands of the story back together. Introducing new characters and slowly re-introducing those already known. In so doing one is constantly fighting the inevitability of the known outcome, yet willing it not to be thus.

Unlike other Gemmell novels, there is less fantasy, and more a speculation on the nature of ancient Greek society and religion (mythology) and how that influenced poeples lives; how and why the Trojan war might have come about; how legends are formed.

You will, as I did, be crying out for the final, yet inevitable, outcome, sadly this for me coincided with the news of David's passing. Heartbreaking. Then in the best of stories, hope emerges and there is the prospect of the concluding part of the trilogy, plus for me, the rest of David's back catolugue (I have just devoured Dark Moon - excellent).
on 12 October 2006
This is the 2nd installment in his Troy series and is by far much better than the 1st one. Troy: Lord of the silver Bow took an age to get into with forgettable names and an extremely slow and laboured start which only picked up half way through the book.

As for The shield of Thunder the names are continued and therefore nothing new but the action, pace and story that unfolds from the 1st book is top notch and very much what i have come to expect from David Gemmell. I havent finished the book yet but have been unable to put it down staying awake late into the night with eyes half open just to read more it really is that good. Sad it was at his passing because he simply is the best at heroic fantasy and it was good news to read that his wife will finsh the final book in his Troy trilogy from the notes that he left behind and that is one book I cant wait to read !!!
on 28 June 2015
Just brilliant. His character building and the way he introduces two new characters made me think that I must have read about them from the first book given how well he brought and involved them in the story.
Brilliant book that makes the 10 years of the war seem a lot more realistic than the one Homer wrote about.
on 4 October 2006
I have had the extreme pleasure of reading all of David Gemmell's books and my delight in this one was only tinged by the knowledge that he had left us for the great beyond. however he left us all with a wonderful legacy of worlds where we can all be heroes, this last book was if anything one of his best. I know we shall all miss this true master of fantasy fiction. My deepest sympathies go to David's family and friends. Please be assured that we his many fans shall never forget him and we have his wonderful reading legacy to give us such enjoyment in the years to come, He will be truly missed by us all. Tony Redmore.