Format: MP3 Download|Change
Price:£6.99

on 24 December 2010
Went to see the movie on Wednesday and loved it but must admit that I'm not a Daft Punk fan and seeing that they had worked on the entire score for the film put me off a little.

I should have had more faith. It's certainly not the usual Daft Punk style by any means and I mean this in a very, very positive way. The film is fantastic and the soundtrack really shines through. It's full of pounding, harsh synth tones and soft yet very powerful orchestral notes which fit perfectly with the film's unique and graphically stunning art direction.

It really shows Daft Punk in a new light and proves to me that they are capable of much more than the usual house music they're known for. They have created some exceptional pieces of music that are capable of provoking some pretty strong emotion. In short I love the film, and love this soundtrack equally as much. The only criticism I have is that I wish some of the tracks were longer.
on 10 December 2010
The Daft has gone. I'm not sure how else to put it. Defining the music of Daft Punk in the first place is no easy task. But the daft is definitely missing or at least buried deep for this soundtrack and that's the key. This is after all a soundtrack with a defining theme rather than an album of individual tracks pulled together for your entertainment.

So what do you get from Daft Punk when the daft is removed and replaced with the central theme of the digital world of Tron?

Let's see. Well at first I liked the music, it was atmospheric and enjoyable enough. What I missed the most was the daft vocals. But as I listened to the album a few more times I really started to appreciate the complexities of the orchestral pieces and marvel at how the hell two guys more familiar with a mixing deck and keyboards as opposed to a full blown orchestra could come up with anything so complex and majestic. I am currently at the point where I have the volume in the car set to double what it would normally be set to, just so I can fully appreciate all the complexities. I find I'm struggling to keep both my hands on the steering wheel as I can't help directing my own imaginary orchestra in a Daft Punk style (embarrassing I know). I get a lump in my throat and my chest tightens, just imaging the world of Tron as I listen and conduct along with the score.

So, should you buy it?

If it's Daft Punk you're after then be cautious. But if you're open minded and you've ever found yourself enjoying an orchestral soundtrack of the like John Williams or Howard Shore might produce then you're going to enjoy this. If you also happen to be a fan of either Tron or Daft Punk then like me you could well end up loving this album.

I can't wait to get back in the car for my next bout of conducting.
on 2 February 2011
Well, it clearly harks back to the 1970's in places, but in an understated and intelligent way. Am I the only person who gets hints of Kraft & Alexander, Isao Tomita and the French guy (Jarre) in here?.
I have to strongly recommend this album for people of all ages. This is art at its zenith. As film sound tracks go, this is easily up there with Akira, but it's much more accessible to our little Western ears. I want to go and see the film.

A short review but an enthusiastic one. Having heard this on a free streaming site (spot***), I'm buying this cd today.
on 24 February 2012
It's hard to believe this is Daft Punk's first movie soundtrack, they've been around for years after all, but what a piece of work this is.

When you think about it Daft Punk were an obvious choice for this soundtrack, not in a lazy 'oh yeah, they do electronic sounding music' kind of way but in the way their music has such texture and feels simultaneously rooted in the past but bang up to date - perfect for an update of such a classic film . Of course the original Tron is rooted way back in 1982 and Daft Punk's retro vibes do tip their hat to that very different era whilst delivering something completely modern at the same time - not an easy task but it's done with a very sure hand here.

The pallete Daft Punk have drawn from is wonderfully varied and most tracks have a beautifully realised electronic motif interwoven with more traditional orchestral arrangement to stunning effect.

Listening to the soundtrack in isolation I find my mind filled with imagery from the film - no bad thing as both the music and visuals from the film are things of complete beauty. If a sountrack can ever be said to be 'good' based on how well it fits with the visuals then this soundtrack is surely one of the best. I find it rare these days to be as conscious of the music in films, to me this soundtrack was an equal to what I was seeing onscreen but the combined effect of the amazing visuals and sound add up to something far more than the sum of their parts.

I've seen in other reviews that the repetitiveness of the music has put some people off a little. I can't deny there is repetition here but that's what Daft Punk do... Around the World was just the same vamp over and over to almost hypnotic but stunning effect (and with that video it's just even better...), Aerodynamic with it's guitar arpeggio's...Robot Rock.... the list goes on but I have to say I like how the guys have come up with a hook and really explore it musically.

I've already heard various pieces of the soundtrack used in adverts and I can understand why - it's simply amazing music.

For the price their asking it's almost being given away so don't be shy! 10/10
on 5 April 2013
The piece is magnificent, and some of the tracks even give me goosebumps when I listen to them. But the downloads Amazon gave me were of a substandard codec (VLC tells me it's 128kbps MP3, CBR), and the Linux support for Cloud Player's download service is terrible. With all the money going through Amazon, and what they are allegedly withholding from the government of my country of residence, I thought they would have the resources to do better.

I got around this technicality, but in retrospect, I should have used one of the competitors.
on 21 January 2015
This is one of those cases were there is an average film lifted by an excellent soundtrack.

What Daft Punk have produced generates in your mind the world of the network inside the computer, the world of Tron.
It is a dark, slightly cold world, but you can feel the electronics flowing through the music.

Like to listen to this for the overall ambience, so I wouldn't single out individual tracks.
on 22 November 2015
I have been a fan of the soundtrack from the initial release. Daft Punk have done a superb job. But I yearned for a CD copy and I discovered this special edition. OK, so you are paying over the odds but the extra tracks sound incredible and the package as a whole is quite special indeed.
on 17 July 2012
Certainly in the 10 best film soundtracks of this decade, Tron Legacy is an exciting, varied, coherent and downright enjoyable score. Coming from the masters of electronic Daft Punk, you could be forgiven for expecting a mash-up of dancefloor-derived digital noise. Instead, what you get are real instruments and coherent leitmotifs. Whilst I've come to it off the back of the film, I firmly believe that this score stands proudly on its own and has glorious ebb and flow. If I have any complaints, I think that some of the tracks should be longer and allowed to fill their own potential (The Grid and Son of Flynn in particular) but that's being exceptionally picky. Highly recommended, especially if you have some decent hifi kit to do it justice.
on 6 September 2015
An excellent and full-sounding orchestral techno soundtrack by the usually cheap sounding loop-cheats Daft Punk. Gorgeous strings, shimmering electronica, strong emotions, some witty musical in-joke references to other sci-fi movie soundtracks such as Vangelis' Bladerunner and the overall feeling that this is what these guys should be doing, instead of releasing the dull, interminable sampled-disco tracks of late.

Well worth a listen and a purchase.
on 12 June 2014
I wanted to like this but unfortunately it is more Disney than Daft Punk. Lots of repetitive heavy theme-like background music that made me think I was about to listen to Copland's Fanfare for the Common Man. I don't blame DP - I feel that they have been trying to produce music with Disney executives constantly looking over their shoulder. I can see a few shades of the future RAM in here and it is interesting to see how their music has evolved from Homework onwards.
Maybe I'm being a little too rash with my judgement. I decided to listen as if it was something from the likes of Tangerine Dream and that's when it started to make more sense. Even so, with tracks like Overture and Flynn Lives you get the impression that it really is formulaic, American, melodramatic, corn syrup with Daft Punk's name added to it.