on 26 January 2016
The light it throws is great, just as I've found with all my other Daylight Company products. But, two months in it still stinks of a hot soldering job while it's switched on. I use it for at least an hour a day, often much longer, so I was hoping any volatiles would have boiled off by now. Not sure what to do with it. The first lamp I received had a sizeable dent, and one of the tubes blew very early on. One thing I noticed was that the very feiint buzz of the power supply went quiet when it was only powering three bulbs. Maybe the supply is specced rather close to the wire on wattage. You would expect that of a relatively inexpensive piece of equipment. You'd hope it didn't stink. The light is good enough that I'm going to open it up and try to fix the problem, probably voiding my warranty in the process. I'll report back on what I find.
OK, I found that each tube gets its own little power supply with a tiny transformer, and one of the wires was resting against a transformer, which will get hot. That's a plausible explanation for the smell. I've re-routed the wire (nothing to it, just lay it the other side of a plastic strut), and we'll see if that fixes the problem...
on 20 January 2015
I honestly wish I had bought this years ago.

I can paint any time night or day under this lamp if I want too. Light, or should I say lack of it, is no longer an issue.

It comes with a clamp to firmly attach to a table or drawing board, it is fully adjustable and is easy to move into place quickly with one hand. The wide head means you are working under a big swath of light rather than under a small spot (my table is 6 ft. and it lights the whole thing). This means no eye strain and if like me you paint, you can mix colours to the side of your painting under the same light conditions.

I've made a video so you can see it in action (something that would have helped me when deciding whether to purchase or not). http://youtu.be/91_EbgoGb38

It's not cheap but it's worth every penny imo. The money I have spent on other cheaper lamps and bulbs has been wasted as they never did the job properly, quickly becoming abandoned. If that sounds like you, give this one a try, I doubt you'll be disappointed.
VINE VOICEon 10 January 2015
I am a painter of miniatures and currently use 2 anglepoise lamps with white bulbs but I found this awkward during painting sessions as I was getting a lot of shadows.
The light output from this lamp is a massive improvement. The light is a lot whiter and the colours are a lot more vibrant. There is almost not shadowing and no glare from the bulbs.
Although 250w sounds like it will be too bright, it is perfect.
The lamp and the supplied desk clamp appears to be very well made and should last a lifetime.
There's plenty of reach and the lamp is highly positionable. I have absolutely no complaints about the lamp.
Of you're a painter of miniatures I strongly recommend this.
5 STARS

UPDATE Nov 2015
I bought this lamp in January now in November one of the tubes fails to come-on until it warms-up. The tube is fine so it's the internal electrics.. possibly a wiring fault. i love this lamp but I reckon it won't last!
on 17 June 2017
Absolutely brilliant lamp, used for miniature painting and couldn't work without it.

Unfortunately it has lasted little over a year before it has died. Over the last few weeks the lamp casing became much hotter than usual and smelled like burning.

As a review I love the product, just disappointed with the time it has lasted and will have to wait to purchase another :(
on 10 April 2015
Excellent lamp and much better and brighter than my previous model. Very pleased.
Nit-picking now, the angles available are only "forward' pointing up & down from desk level and higher but it doesn't fold backwards - that is, It only occupies the space over the desk and you can't lean it back on itself out of the way entirely because of the leverage. I have very specific reasons why I want to do this so its not a criticism most people would even bother with. I can always swivel it round or experiment a bit more !!

So for its actual job of brilliant lighting, good white even light its fabulous.
on 30 December 2015
I love the difference this light has made to lighting my work station - the light is very natural. I am a graphic designer and spend a long time at my computer, but I also illustrate and sew - this light gives you real clarity on colours and detail and has helped enormously with preventing eye strain.

However, 4 Stars as the arm isn't long enough for me. For optimum coverage, it's best for me to have it above my head. I have a 27" iMac and it's too close to the top of it and the top of my head - I wish it could be at least 10 inches higher. It makes me feel hot and though my monitor eye strain has gone it's been replaced with really dry, itchy eyes! If I only used this for drawing, it would probably be fine as I'd be leaning over, but I have to spend hours and hours upright at my computer so it gets uncomfortable.

Great for the price but room for improvement in the height.
on 21 November 2015
Product arrived with one tube broke and the other two broke/died in the next few days, I ordered and promptly received three more tubes which were not cheap. I needed to disemble the lamp head, and remove the tubes, it was not rocket science, but basic instructions would have been useful, to reassure me that I was doing it right and not forcing things causing unnecessary damage. I replaced all three tubes and only two worked, so I swapped them around to discover the fitting is a bit flimsy and loose and not working at all, so pretty disappointed because this was not an inexpensive gift, to my wife whose eyesight is deteriorating. Not happy!!
on 6 February 2015
Although I've only had it a day, I am very glad I bought it. It's larger than I thought and much heavier; this is a solid, well-made piece of kit. The screw clamp supplied with it opens wide enough to mount the lamp on a variety of things much thicker than the average table top; I've clamped it to the top beam of a floor loom. The lamp fitting is large and therefore casts a lot of light and I have not noticed any annoying variations in brightness in the centre of the field. I'm looking forward to weaving in mid-winter without wondering what the colours will look like in summer daylight!
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 7 December 2014
Well, pleasantly surprised as a very stable lamp with great light coverage and good price of 80 quid.
Has all I expect of an artists lamp for drawing an even in my own cramped spaced found it useful... as of its so called " 60 minute warm up time" it actually turned on instantly and isn't hot underneath to work by. I recommend this Daylight brand light at 85 quid price ( as i right the review ) as you might have to spend near another £40 more if you looked elsewhere like in Hobbycraft or other.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 20 November 2014
I thought this would be ideal for shining a light when drawing or painting. It proved to be so. The item arrived well packaged and was easy to install. It is very flexible so it is easy to direct the light to where you need it. The light itself certainly makes a difference to colours and that is especially obvious a night. Excellent item.