on 21 April 2014
This book is brilliant. I don't have a bad word to say about it.
It's laid out well, very detailed, and each area of the body has it's own section. There are plenty of diagrams to look at, which are very useful when trying to locate trigger points.
There are also clear guidelines to follow, on how to massage yourself, and for how long. If the advice is followed, then you can actually get rid of a lot of the pain you may be suffering with.

I suffer with migraines, TMJ and spondylitis in my neck and back. This book has allowed me to help myself, and not rely on medication.
Some stubborn trigger points take longer to work out than others, but relief is found in the end.
I recommend the use of the 'Theracane' in conjunction with this book. Neither the book or the Theracane is cheap, but once you have them, you'll wonder how you managed without them!
on 18 January 2014
I bought this book as a lay person who was having back problems but refer to it evertime I get pain in any part of my body as it is so detailed. Possibly a bit more detailed than I need but I'm sure more physios would benefit from reading it. Overal it's quite clear and easily indexed so you can find what you need quickly. I find it reassuring when I can read what muscle I'm having problems with and see how it connects with the rest of me and why sometime you can get referred pain. Not sure I would buy it again if I had the choice but only in that's it's more than I require.
on 28 July 2014
Outstanding book, really easy to digest and full of really useful information.
on 2 May 2017
Best 15 pounds I ever spend
on 18 April 2015
Good
on 11 September 2017
Very good book
on 2 September 2011
If you have unexplained pain, there's a good chance it will be caused by a trigger point, and this book shows how to treat them yourself though massage. You can google about trigger points, but they are basically small cramps in muscle tissue, often in individual or only a few muscle fibres (cells). They cause pain because they are tightening and therefore stressing the tissue they connect to.

A friend was diagnosed as having carpal tunnel syndrome in her wrist and her Dr had her down for surgery. She used my copy of this book to treat herself - surgery not necessary!

It should be available on the NHS, and every GP should have one.

---- update for further info ----
The book gives an overview of the medical background of the author and of the medical science that the material in the book is based on. This is mainstream medical science, it is not some new-age crystal-bothering nonsense.

The book tells you how to treat the trigger points yourself (although having a partner who can do it for you is preferable, as you can relax), and how often to do so, and explains the effects.

The heart of the book is maps of the body, and is based around two main points:

a) identifying the area of pain - shown in body diagrams

b) identifying the likely places where the trigger points may be - also given by body diagrams

It is usually the case that these two locations are different, though not necessarily. The books explains why this is the case.

So, if you have, say, a pain in your back, you would go to the contents page and find the beginning page of the Back chapter.

On that page, you would look through the body diagrams until you saw one which showed the area where you experience pain - this would in turn show you where the area(s) containing the trigger points would possibly be, explaining which is the most likely.

You then treat the trigger points as described in the general section earlier in the book. Often you will get a sense of some relief immediately although it can take days to remove the problem entirely, and you can make the trigger points sore if you overdo it.

Once you find it works for one thing, it will be your first recourse for new pains (bearing in mind, these are muscle and tendon related issues).

Another more general treatment is "Bowen" - this can be very effective too - but that's another book and does not have medical science backing yet (as far as I know), although it is empirically effective.
on 18 July 2016
i bought this book in May 2012 as I was experiencing severe pain in my right hand and arm, such that I was unable to use it. Driving was very difficult and I actually ended up using a driving knob for one-handed driving to turn the steering wheel. This went on for months, and I was under investigation vis hospitals and had extensive physiotherapy, but nothing helped. I was also struggling to sleep and had to take time off work. I did a lot of research and came across Trigger point therapy, and decided to self treat myself. I also researched the best way of working at a computer and made some changes. Firstly, this book was so helpful in helping me to identify the source of my pain and to treat it. I also bought a completely flat keyboard and made sure that I was putting no stress or strain on the muscles in my hands. This has completed cured me - it is now 2016 and I have had no problems for the last three years. I definitely recommend persevering with the exercises in this book. thank you
on 2 March 2016
For people that have regular muscle tension, or fibromyalgia type aches and pains, this book is invaluable. It's the difference between suffering in ignorance and being able to overcome almost all soft tissue pain without medical intervention or spending a fortune on massage treatments that are so often done by those who have little understanding of trigger points, and what it takes to defuse them. The author, now deceased, was a real gem of a human being in that he cared to painstakingly research his subject and put it into book form. He also used his knowledge in his own massage practice. Through his work he has enabled those suffering from soft tissue pain to have a much better, pain free life. It's worked for me, and it will work for you - if you are willing to put the time and effort in. I bought this last copy for my daughter.
on 11 September 2010
I first read about trigger point therapy in an article in Flex, at first it seams like a realy complex idea that erquires you to know an awful lot about he human anatomy, but it turns out that what you realy need is a book. Basicaly this book. After reading this book and trying out some of the techniques I found that A lot of the things that I thought where permanent, ireversable injuries I'd sustained as a bodybuilder in my twenties, like dodgy knees (last week a I leg pressed 160k after 3 months of training) that I never thought wopuld ever get better. It turns out that a lot of the things I thought where permanent, like my bad back, where not to do with cartlidge or bone structure where actualy because of, or being exasparated by muscule problems. Anyone who has repetative strain injuries, pains caused by bad posture, or long term sports injuries and are looking for relief from the pain should read this book. It is by no means easy going, but it is definitely wiorth the effort. I thought I'd never be able to train seriously again, and at the age of fourty five, I'm back in the gym.

The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook: Your Self-Treatment for Pain Relief (Trigger Point Therapy Workbook: Your Self-Treatment Guide for Pain Relief)