Customer reviews

on 11 February 2012
A must read for any one interested in tribes, humanity, and self understanding,,
the book takes you on a journey around the globe, past , presnet and future,,
for anybody who has travelled, it can be very mind and heart opening, this book does exactly that,
it opens your heart to the seed of your human'ness without getting on a bus, train or plain..
I found this book very enlightening, i could not put it down,, it has a spiritual yet mature approach to
the reader,, the humbleness of the writer can be felt, his genuine care and consideration for our
tribes shines through..It is political, environmental, and i have no doubt will lead you to question
our present earth situation..
good reading...
on 21 June 2017
Excellent!
on 1 March 2012
I've been interested in the world of indigenous tribal people since studying Marshal Sahlin's work on the 'original affluent societies' some two decades ago. Stephen's book is comprehensive, evocative and down to earth.
My son recently completed a project for secondary school at key stage 3 (year 8) on the Tropical Rainforests and we discussed the information that the author compiled from his travels/experience. Together with the documentary by Bruce Parry, 'Tribe' and the BBC 2011 Human Planet programme especially episode 6 on the Jungle - our eyes were opened to the incredible wealth that these people continue to have. I intend to support the charity Survival International that the author works on behalf of. The capitalist-technological horse bolted long ago but we have much still to learn from the people described in this book and they deserve protection from the forces of extraction and exploitation which our consumer society exposes them needlesly to.
on 25 October 2011
This is an important book which demonstrates why tribal peoples are not relics living in the past, condemned to unavoidable oblivion. Nor are they museum artefacts to be catalogued and marvelled at. Tribal peoples can offer us, purportedly the 'civilised' ones, examples of successfully adapted lifestyles and viable approaches to more sustainable and harmonious societies.

At a time of deep and unremitting crisis in the world's predominant socio-economic system, with no viable solution from within its own functional alternative models, tribal peoples remain a powerful source of hope for a better future.

Read it and share it.
on 16 October 2011
A highly recommended book - excellent for students of anthropology or anyone interested in this fascinating and important topic. I found it engaging and entertaining, and it leaves no area of this often difficult subject uncovered.
on 20 February 2012
A truly enjoyable read, the book outlines the situation for tribal and indigenous peoples across the world and in doing so explains why they are vital for our species to survive and thrive, in harmony with nature.

Something which I did not expect, was the conclusions I could draw about my own cultural practices and beliefs by reading about a vastly different set described in the book. It has added to my appreciation of the richness of collective human experience and the great loss we would all feel were that to disappear, taking with it a whole different way of looking at the world.

Also, this book is a steal at the kindle price!
on 28 July 2014
A basic, simplistic read, unable to keep my interest
22 Comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 22 December 2013
I've had this sitting in my virtual bookshelf for a while now and have recently just started reading it and am unable to stop, I'm now 50% of the way through and feel compelled to say that I echo the views of the other reviewers and wish to say this book is incredibly rich with the history of tribal peoples and the history and heritage we all share as human beings. The book is fantastically written and the passion and knowledge of the author Stephen Corry shines through.

Each page is an enlightenment or education in one form or another.

We Are One.