Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
|Print List Price:||£6.99|
Save £4.82 (69%)
The Trials of Caste: Young Adult Fantasy (Paladin of a Hidden God Book 1) Kindle Edition
|New from||Used from|
|Length: 317 pages||Word Wise: Enabled||Enhanced Typesetting: Enabled|
|Page Flip: Enabled|
Kindle e-ReadersKindle Fire TabletsFire Phones
- Book 1 of 3 in Paladin of a Hidden God (3 Book Series)
Enjoy unlimited access to over 1 million titles and thousands of audiobooks on any device for £7.99 a month, including this one. Learn more
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
The story involves a clan of Kobolds, and the days leading up to a set of trials that determine their future in the clans. That is actually super cool, and I love that this is told from the point of view of Kobolds, as that is different than most fantasy genre novels. My biggest issue is that 75% of the names start with K - and that makes it a little more difficult to differentiate them from one another before their actions show their character. And most characters did not have a family name either, though some had warrior names which was cool. I had to go over chapters a couple of times to make sure who I was reading about, and that made progress a bit slow.
Now, the good, the STORY - man alive, the story is the thing - intrigue? Check - action? Check - coming of age story? check - this has some standard tropes done in a non-standard way which made this a fun book. The second half is also the faster paced and meat of the story, as it goes into details about the trials - the first half is very story driven with the mystery, but that second half is all of the special effects budget and action sequences, and it does not get boring nor repetitive.
Well, mostly the story is not repetitive, though there are words that are used multiple times in the same paragraph, without any other detail given, but it is a small infraction, and forgivable.
On a side note, the author signed and wrote a personal message in my copy of this book that I won, which shows that extra step and that piece of connection in the story, so a big and warm thank you goes out to Joel Babbitt for his personal touch as well as his well written tale.
This is one that I will give my kids to read as well, as it belongs in the family collection.
When the Trails started it was like you were there watching Durik and the rest of the yearlings compete. There are two other books in the series and I will absolutely be checking them out. I want to know how the rest of the story laid out for us unfolds.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Fiction > Adventure Stories & Action
- Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > Coming of Age
- Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > Epic
- Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > Sword & Sorcery
- Books > Young Adult
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Action & Adventure > Fantasy
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > Coming of Age
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > Epic
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > Sword & Sorcery
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Teen & Young Adult > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Fantasy > Coming of Age