on 7 June 2013
The book was certainly packed with information. However, it is clearly more of an academic treatise, being unable to read Anglo Saxon, I found the extracts in that language a little pointless. There was also some repetition in different sections where there would be crossover. It was quite hard going in places, more of a list than anything else, but where it delves into the perceptions of the trees themselves and the impact of Christianity on tree lore, it was quite illuminating.
on 27 March 2017
Perfect for the research that my son is doing.
on 17 November 2015
Quality, value, arrived quickly,. Della Hooke, superb Historical Researcher. Can`t wait to read this.

Serious landscape historians, check out Della`s Anglo Saxon charter Titles. The Warwickshire Title is superb. Walk back in time ( with Landowners` permission ),along Parish Boundaries that were established, or present during the Anglo Saxon period, with some landmarks still visible, or places of long disappeared landmarks readily identifiable.
on 23 July 2016
Excellent read for those interested in Anglo Saxon England. Fantastic research and huge reading done by the author. I was interested in the Irish aspects. However not certain all data is spot on (might be)? Still a fantastic book.
on 10 November 2015
Excellent. Thought provoking, very well written and very helpful references. A superb book.
on 12 June 2013
Didn't read it myself but the person I bought it for thinks it a delight and has found it extremely informative
on 10 March 2016
OK
on 5 September 2012
Since I haven't actually read this book it'd be a bit of a stretch to call this a review. The 3-star rating is just a place-holder. I just can't afford this now, which is why I chose the title I did. However, I have read other books by this author and know her excellent work on the Hwicce and Worcestershire charters so I feel confident that the rating is a minimum one. I came to the books of this author via Tolkien since he identified strongly with both these areas. I'm sure he'd be interested in this book as well since it combines his love of trees and Saxon England. I wonder if the publisher has ever considered marketing these books to tolkienistas. It might broaden their sales beyond the bounds of academia. Paperback, please!
on 4 September 2014
Nothing wrong with the book, just wasn't want I was actually looking for