Enter your mobile number below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
|Print List Price:||£22.64|
Save £3.18 (14%)
Travel Scholarships (Early Classics of Science Fiction) Kindle Edition
|New from||Used from|
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Top Customer Reviews
It was a shame nonetheless. Even in his seventies Verne was the craftiest of old pros, a tale spinner with a huge bag of tricks, and "Travel Scholarships" shows him in solid form with one of his specialties. Published in Paris in 1903, this is the last holdout among his untranslated novels, and it's one of Verne's slickest, shrewdest sea stories. The yarn is laid in the 1870s and begins in the British Isles: escaped convicts hijack a charter cruise bound for the West Indies. The vessel's passengers are nine lads ready to come of age, student winners of a summer trip to select islands in the Antilles; their adult protector is the school's bean-counting bursar. The runaway thugs scheme to murder them all, plunder their scholarship money, and lead a life of piracy in the Pacific; but they need to move cautiously, playacting as good guys and able seamen.Read more ›
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Fiction > Contemporary Fiction
- Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Adventure
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Contemporary Fiction > Fantasy
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Contemporary Fiction > Literary
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Anthologies & Short Stories