on 25 February 2008
I must admit that I was sceptical when a friend recommended this book to me. I have often travelled with my three young children and I thought I knew it all. However I now admit I was wrong. This Rough Guide is full of useful advice, but most importantly it is sensible and not patronising. The author treats her readers as intelligent beings and that makes a huge difference - to me at least.
The book is also full of real examples of family holidays that have gone well and not so well, which often make fascinating reading (it may seem obvious, but do keep an eye on your children when trekking across mountain ranges in Nepal!).
I particularly liked the way the book covers different specific areas of the world - both obvious holiday destinations and more unusual places - and tackles cultural differences, for example those countries where it is advisable to breastfeed in private, or cover even young children on the beach. What sort of loos to expect in Eastern Europe, what age you will need a car booster seat in various countries and where children can travel free on public transport etc etc etc. The list of practical, money and time saving tips is endless and I thoroughly recommend it to anyone planning to travel with their children - you may even enjoy yourself!
on 25 May 2008
How I wish I'd had this oh so useful tome when my son was little - as a lone parent I scooped him up and took off to various parts of the world and, though we managed, I carried him and my anxieties alone and hoped for the best. If I'd had the tips and reassurances that this book of travel revelations provides - such as packing advice (lists offered), how to cope with 'colds and ear problems in the air', 'common challenges' once you're 'there' and travellers' anecdotes - I would have been so much more at ease and less fevered by the time we reached our destination. It's a handbook that fits neatly and appropriately into the essential luggage space, offering invaluable nuggets of information which, in the rush of preparation, the fluster of arrival and the awe of 'being there', provide the support and back up that will make it all so much easier. A positive and practical book to accompany any journey with children in tow.
on 2 February 2010
There's a great deal of good sensible stuff in this book however a good chunk of it is on health precautions and what to do in case of medical problems. Take care not to rely too heavily on this for the author is clearly not qualified to give medical advice in this way. The explanation on how oral rehydration 'works' is just plain wrong, for example.
on 5 February 2015
As a keen backpacker who has travelled most of Europe, SE Asia, Australia and New Zealand, when I had a baby, I was keen to take her with me and encourage her to learn about the world and different people through travel. I was looking for a "rough guide" of the practicalities of backpacking with a little one in tow - do I need a lightweight buggy? which travel cots are best and pack down smallest? what hygiene and health considerations are there etc? So I bought this book, thinking "it's a rough guide...". Sadly I've never been more disappointed. It's unbelievably patronising and appears to have been written for an audience who has never left the house in their life, let alone been travelling or on holiday before. It was the advice on breaking your regular routine of household chores in the days leading up to your trip, cleaning out your fridge, taking your phone off the hook so that you don't get distracted from packing, and whilst packing the car to leave, put your keys in your pocket so that you don't lock yourself out of the house...that finally lead me to write a review so that other people don't waste their money. Not to mention paying to have your bags sent ahead of you so that you have less to carry on the flight - who can afford that?! Or booking yourself into business class so you can relax and enjoy the journey whilst your children travel in economy and get looked after by the stewards - why wouldn't you want to share the journey as a family?! Not at all from a backpacking point of view, which is what I had wanted. Very disappointed and not what I expected from a "rough guide".
on 30 December 2013
Gave this to a few friends who before having children loved to travel. They found it very helpful when travelling with baby, made them think about areas that previously had not crossed their mind! Brilliant gift!
on 6 September 2010
i bought this book hoping it would provide some helpful tips re travelling with children. i found it to be very basic and was disappointed. the section with regards to travelling with children specific to different countries is too short and feels like it was an after thought. i also found the information inaccurate and unhelpful. all in all, not quite what i was hoping for.
on 22 June 2008
I don't know what I expected but certainly nothing this detailed or so well-written. It was fun to read, and completely educational. I don't have children of my own but as a travel writer I need to know what women travelers and mothers can expect. I wouldn't hesitate a single second to offer this book as a gift to parents, or to recommend it without reservation to anyone considering travel with young children. Not only is it practical, it's fun. I learned plenty about attitudes towards children around the world. Well done!
on 17 May 2011
I bought this book because I was going on a flight to America with my 11 month old.

Book seems reasonable but it didn't really tell me anything I don't know.

There is a section at the end with specific information about different countries which I suppose could be useful but I'm sure you could find that information by googling it.
on 14 January 2013
Usual high standard from the Rough Guide series. Many useful tips, some a little obvious but still worthwhile stating. Would recommend.
on 14 June 2008
This is an essential handbook for anyone planning to travel with young ones - it's packed with tips to help you deal with the reality of travelling, the stuff that's so easy to forget about in all the excitement of preparation! My copy's already looking well-travelled as I've taken it with me for a couple of European holidays. I used the helpful checklists which reminded me to take a hospital letter and that really gave me peace of mind. Now we're planning to go further afield I know the book is going to make the planning so much easier, and force us to prepare for the worse like losing a passport or dealing with a medical emergency. I really enjoyed the little anecdotes written throughout by family travellers recounting their funny experiences. That helped to make it an entertaining as well as thoroughly useful read. Save yourself a lot of hassle and buy it before you go... or you'll definitely be sorry.