Transformation of Medieval England 1370-1529, The (Foundations of Modern Britain) Paperback – 31 May 1983
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Enter your mobile number below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
'Able sixth formers doing Tudor studies should certainly begin here; they will find much food for thought and a firm foundation for their studies.' Teaching History 'As a fresh and long overdue synthesis; J. A. F. Thomson's book is most welcome and will be valuable to students and teachers alike.' The Ricardian
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
The sections on politics and on economic and social history are clearly written and conclude that population changes were vital in economic development and that economic issues rather than dissatisfaction with the social system caused popular risings. Thomson concludes that sound government finances depended on controlling expenditure, which was only possible with the ending of the Hundred Years War in 1453. The section on the church, including discussions of Lollardy and Anglo-Papal relations is a good short account. Thompson seems well able to make broad and valid historical judgements in these areas. The sections on government and politics can be slightly confusing as elements of the same event can occur in different sections, however the book is a good general introduction to the period.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > History > Academic History
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > Anglo-Saxon 500-1000
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > Black Death
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > Early Modern 1501-1700 (Tudors, Stuarts, Commonwealth, Restoration, Glorious Revolution)
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > Ireland
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > Norman and Medieval 1001-1500
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > Wars of the Roses
- Books > History > Europe > Vikings, Dark Ages, Medieval Europe 501-1500
- Books > History > World History > 501-1500