TOP 500 REVIEWERon 13 August 2012
This is a review of the remastered edition of this 1977 landmark recording. I purchased it after reading a 2009 review that claimed it as, "Probably the most influential album released in the final quarter of the past century." That's as maybe, but within the first few minutes of the opening track I was struck how it must have influenced Gary Numan's opening on his hit `Cars', and how it also affected some of Billy Currie`s work with Ultravox.

Given my love for European train travel, I'm surprised it's taken me this long to sit down and listen to the work all the way through. Kraftwerk passed me by in the 1970s. Their music was seen by me to be too cold, too clinical, and too repetitive. And `Trans Europe Express' is all of these. Instead, I was a Tangerine Dream man. As an example of the inane repetitiveness, the words "We are showroom dummies" is repeated at least thirty-eight times on the `Showroom Dummies' track.

What saves this disc is the incredible rhythm of the title track as it meanders across, below, and behind the stereo spectrum. For sure, the words "Trans Europe Express" are also repeated seemingly endlessly, but the difference here is that we are on a journey and there are wider changes in the arrangement of the music.

The CD comes with generous sleevenotes, not in terms of information but of photographic representations of the group that attempt to match the mood and titles of the CD's tracks: thus we see them at Dusseldorf Hauptbahnhof, as Franz Schubert, as showroom dummies.

I like the way the final track links the sound of its immediate predecessor with the words of the opening track, thus creating a kind of `Endless' circle. It's not, for me, a brilliant album, but it is good enough for me to order `Autobahn'.
on 13 December 2017
What a truly hypnotic experience it is listening to these tracks. The music was incredibly ahead of its time and continues to sound unique in its concepts today. The remastering is excellent and the mesmerising eurphony remains in the mind long after the record has finished. This is something to listen to over and over again, and you're guaranteed always to find something unequalled in the experience.
on 11 June 2013
The signature Kraftwerk sound combines driving, repetitive rhythms with catchy melodies, following a Western Classical style of harmony, with a minimalistic and strictly electronic instrumentation. Unlike their first two albums, which are far more freeform and jam-oriented, the seminal Autobahn popularised their sound and gave them a worldwide audience. Trans Europe Express consolidated the sound and was the first to be mixed at The Record Plant in LA.

Still enjoyable and new-sounding even today, this album will not please fans of more abstract electronica or the industrial dystopian sounds of modern electronic rock (Tangerine Dream, Rammstein et al.), but is still definitely worth listening to for its influence on later bands and sheer nostalgia.
on 23 December 2017
I have been a fan of Kraftwerk since the late 1970,s, weird techno but fabulous electronic style music with plenty of vocals thrown in. Trans Europe Express takes you on a train ride around Europe in some sort of musical way..
on 25 April 2014
Strangely enough although I've been a fan of early Human League recordings for years, this is my first purchase of anything by Kraftwerk on any format: The 'League anglicised what they'd heard and added their own twist to the music, but the roots often show through - truly influential and radical in their intent, Kraftwerk are the "daddies of them all"- without them, a whole slew of modern genres simply wouldn't exist!
on 21 November 2016
Another blast from the past that I bought to replace my LP. Very advanced for its time and I just love Show Room Dummies. Not sure my musical ear helps me see a difference between the remastered and original but sounds the same as my memories.
on 9 August 2017
Sets the way ahead for electronic music. Listen to something that could have been made yesterday. The melodies stick and the overall continuity of this album deems it a 'classic'. These guys saw the future, and were creating this stuff from scratch.
on 27 May 2015
I needed to replace a lost copy of this (I think this is the fourth format I've bought this in). I got the (historic) import version because another reviewer dissed the re-mastered version - I'm not disappointed but I wondser whether it was worth the trouble.
on 25 January 2017
An early experience for a concert in the summer. As detailed with good sound quality
on 24 January 2018