• Trang

Customer reviews

Format: Kindle Edition|Change

on 13 April 2015
Very enjoyable sci fi that works on many levels. I found the characters were easy to get into but by no means shallow.despite the humourous tone taken throughout the book there's some real depth and clever ideas behind the story. I particularly liked the naming of the alien races - that worked well on several levels.

This would be worth reading at a full price so I would highly recommend it.
on 10 March 2013
What an excellent book! It creates a world where the story focuses on people, even when they are alien, rather than technology. But this is no space opera, the hero Phillipe Tang, a career diplomat, attempts to juggle humans' approach to aliens which is to assume the worst and be ready to use violence against real or imagined threats with the need to make contact with the aliens and negotiate peaceful understanding between the species.
This is achieved with a dry wit and believable characters.
I look forward to the next installment.
on 8 February 2016
I read Trang and loved it, it is imaginative, clever, witty and far more thought provoking than would appear at first glance. It is SF but more interested in psychology than science and technology. I have now read Trust and it is as good or even better than Trang.
VINE VOICETOP 500 REVIEWERon 18 September 2012
This book was supplied free to read and review.
Trang of the title is a diplomat sent to establish friendly relationships with a number of alien races on a space station. Although not a first contact type novel as the space station has been known of for a number of years it is an interesting tale of diplomacy. Reference is often made to Trang's successes at Grantanamo but I would have liked to know what he did there to gain such a reputation.
I liked the way that the different types of alien characteristics were developed and the interaction between the different races. There is also a sub plot that explores Trang's relationship with the soldiers protecting him.
A very thoughtful story which works well as a standalone novel but I believe it is the first part of a series.
A very good concept but I am not sure this theme will sustain a series.
on 31 October 2013
If I could give out a prize I would for this really lovely story. The characterisation is excellent. The proofreading is excellent. The emotions are intense. The plot is intricate and tricky. I adored the aliens. I even laughed out loud a few times and I must admit I found the soldier's vulgarity a total hoot. I dread to think what that says about me! More please. Just read it again for the second time. Enjoyed the whole thing all over again just as much as before. I really love all these people and the aliens too. A really life enhancing story.
on 15 March 2014
It's Sci-fI, it has an OK plot and the characters are rounded off and fun, worth the effort and the cost.