Pain and Its Tranformations (Mind/Brain/Behaviour Initiative) (Mind/Brain/Behavior Initiative) Hardcover – 2 Nov 2007
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Enter your mobile number below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
The sixth and last of the Harvard Mind/Brain/Behavior interdisciplinary books, the most ambitious, and the most truly interdisciplinary of all. This book covers the waterfront in current pain research, from what we know about the biological concepts of pain in literature, the effects of music on pain, and even the moral worth of pain.--John Dowling
"Pain and Its Transformations" is a goldmine. Never before has a single volume brought together such a large number of experts in numerous fields and tied their ideas together into a cohesive study of pain. This volume will be a singularly fecund first step into a number of promising research agendas.--Ariel Glucklich
These essays link to each other in a way that I have rarely seen in a collection. Coakley and Shelemay beautifully frame the entire project, locating it conceptually and making clear what are the stakes for the field of religion and science. In topic, participants, and results, it is the sort of interdisciplinary encounter that the field needs if it is to make progress.--Philip Clayton
About the Author
Sarah Coakley is Edward Mallinckrodt, Jr., Professor of Divinity at Harvard Divinity School. Kay Kaufman Shelemay is G. Gordon Watts Professor of Music and Professor of African and African American Studies at Harvard University.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Medical & Healthcare Practitioners > Internal Medicine > Neurology & Clinical Neurophysiology
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Medical & Healthcare Practitioners > Other Branches of Medicine > Anaesthetics
- Books > Science & Nature > Biological Sciences
- Books > Science & Nature > Medicine
- Books > Scientific, Technical & Medical > Medicine & Nursing > Medical Sciences A-Z > Anaesthetics
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Social Sciences > Anthropology > Social & Cultural