Skills Training Manual for Treating Borderline Personality Disorder: Diagnosis and Treatment of Mental Disorders (Diagnosis & Treatment of Mental Disorders) Paperback – 28 Jun 1993
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Enter your mobile number below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
'Marsha Linehan's tremendously in-depth and informative book and its companion skills-training manual offer a needed guide to the cognitive-behavioral treatment of borderline personality disorder... Her method has become so widely used by clinicians that the experts in psychosocial treatments consider it one of the best... Marsha Linehan's methods are highly eclectic because they are empirically based; they have been fashioned to fit what works best for borderline patients.' - Lester Luborsky, PhD
About the Author
Marsha M. Linehan, PhD, ABPP, is the developer of dialectical behavior therapy (DBT) and Professor of Psychology and of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences and Director of the Behavioral Research and Therapy Clinics at the University of Washington. Her primary research interest is in the development and evaluation of evidence-based treatments for populations with high suicide risk and multiple, severe mental disorders. Dr. Linehan's contributions to suicide research and clinical psychology research have been recognized with numerous awards, including the Gold Medal Award for Life Achievement in the Application of Psychology from the American Psychological Foundation and the James McKeen Cattell Award from the Association for Psychological Science. In her honor, the American Association of Suicidology created the Marsha Linehan Award for Outstanding Research in the Treatment of Suicidal Behavior. She is a Zen master and teaches Zen mindfulness and contemplative practices via workshops and retreats for health care providers.
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
IT IS NOT a self-help book and not particularly helpful for therapists working in 1:1 therapy.
I was able to borrow this from my local library and I am glad I did because if I had spent £26 on it I would have been very disappointed. It is entirely written for the purpose of group work and has very little value to the individual reader. It is not easy to read or follow any of the 'lessons' or link them to the appropriate worksheets. Some of the worksheets are quite good but no better than other sources accessable online or in other books. Certainly not enough to justify the cost.
I have enormous respect for the work of Marsha Linehan and her breakthrough treatment, but it appears that others have taken her DBT treatment and effectively transferred it to be used by individuals who do not have access to expert support. This can be seen in books such as Don't Let your emotions run your life by Scott E Spradlin and The Dialectical Behaviour Therapy Workbook by Mathew Mckay. These books are designed for the purpose of self-help and are far cheaper as well.
Five Stars for Ms Linehan and her work and I wish I could justify 2 stars but I can't.
BPD coping mechanisms and responses are typically as described by the main character in:
The Eighth Circle of Hell
Most Recent Customer Reviews
This was a requested gift which was really appreciated. It was needed for study purposes.Published 9 months ago by Music Lover
This is the gold standard for treating BPD. Other therapies steal and borrow from this book like billio. Read morePublished 11 months ago by honyasan
No problems with the book or its content, however, the description claims it is comb-bound for ease of photocopying the handouts and it is not.Published on 11 May 2014 by A. Lumley
Great as expected. Good mannual. Far too many accrinims. A little bit jargonistic. Americanised could do with an up to date british version.Published on 20 April 2014 by anthonywilliams
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Health Issues > Illnesses & Conditions > Depression
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Medical & Healthcare Practitioners > Other Branches of Medicine > Psychiatry
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Psychology & Psychiatry > Applied Psychology > Clinical Psychology
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Psychology & Psychiatry > Applied Psychology > Psychotherapy
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Psychology & Psychiatry > Pathological Psychology
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Psychology & Psychiatry > Specific Topics > Compulsive Behaviour
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Psychology & Psychiatry > Specific Topics > The Self, Ego & Personality
- Books > Science & Nature > Medicine > Medical Sciences A-Z > Clinical Psychology & Psychotherapy
- Books > Science & Nature > Medicine > Medical Sciences A-Z > Psychotherapy & Clinical Psychology
- Books > Science & Nature > Reference > Psychology & Psychiatry
- Books > Scientific, Technical & Medical > Medicine & Nursing > Medical Sciences A-Z
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Psychology Textbooks