- Hardcover: 714 pages
- Publisher: Routledge; 3Rev Ed edition (9 Jan. 1995)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0710304986
- ISBN-13: 978-0710304988
- Product Dimensions: 15.6 x 3.8 x 23.4 cm
- Average Customer Review: 4.5 out of 5 stars See all reviews (4 customer reviews)
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 1,869,745 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
- See Complete Table of Contents
On The Track Of Unknown Animals Hardcover – 9 Jan 1995
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?
"This entertaining volume is as good a guide book to the undiscovered as could be had."-- "The New York Times Book Review" --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.
From the Back Cover
On the Track of Unknown Animals presents evidence for the existence of numerous other large animals which have been reported by local people, but which have not yet been identified and described by science. The still 'hidden' animals presented here include the man-faced creatures of Southeast Asia, the living fossils of Oceania, the reported giant sloth and still unknown apes of South America, stories of mammoths still ranging over the Siberian taiga, as well as descriptions of many as yet unexplained strange creatures of the African jungles. A current topic of leading interest in cryptozoology is the accumulating body of evidence that Neanderthal Man - a relative of modern man but a separate species from Homo sapiens - almost surely lived simultaneously with modern man into historic times, and is probably still living in remote jungles and mountain fastnesses of the Asian Continent.
Top Customer Reviews
That said, if you cannot get hold of an original print from ebay, this is the only alternative which is better than nothing I suppose. The text and Heuvelmans passion for the subject remain essential reading on this subject.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
As of April 2014, there are multiple editions/printings of this book so you should not have to pay $200+ for a copy.
On the critical side, I may level two accusations that do not go very far toward pejorating the work. Firstly, taken from a continent-by-continent perspective, the coverage is not balanced. Although cryptozoological mysteries-and the oral and/or literary traditions that are often associated therewith-besprinkle the entire globe, the author devotes precious little attention to the boreal zones and none whatsoever to North America! Secondly-and, indeed, this is intertwined with the sparsity of North American coverage-Heuvelmans says next to nothing about sasquatch or some of his cryptohominid cousins, e.g., the central Asian almas and the Australian yay-ho and lo-an (although he most thoroughly dissects the evidence for and against the yeti). But, just perhaps, this second omission can be blamed upon prevailing undertones in the academic community: specifically, it was not until the 1958 incidents in logging camps in rural northern California that the "bigfoot" phenomenon began to attract serious attention.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Reference
- Books > Science & Nature > Biological Sciences > Animal Sciences > Reference
- Books > Science & Nature > Environment & Ecology > Ecology > Animal Ecology
- Books > Science & Nature > Nature > Education
- Books > Science & Nature > Nature > Reference
- Books > Scientific, Technical & Medical > Biology > Animal Sciences