on 23 November 2016
First problem was the DPD courier delivered it to the wrong house (and wrong street). I was looking out the window during the notified timeslot and received an email confirming delivery and astonishingly signed in my surname which was very odd. I rang the Head office who in turn contacted depot who could not get in touch with the driver. the guy on the phone said I would just have to wait until the driver was on his way back to the depot (about 5.30pm) as he had a schedule to keep to. I had paid for a before 1pm slot and it was now 12.30. I told him if it is not here by 1.30 I would report the order to Amazon as undelivered....30 minutes later the driver appeared with my parcel full of apologies.
Out of the box the system is of excellent quality with a solid heavy firm feel about it. Setup and connection was straightforward via a good selection of inputs including the HDMI (ARC) which was the very reason I purchased it for. For such a small soundbar I found it full with plenty of depth (when turned up a bit) so when I walked into another room it sounded easily like a loud hi-fi was playing.. very impressed so far. However the biggest drawback and obvious flaw as it has been highlighted in other reviews is a constant buzz and occasional crackling during the more quiet passages of tv and music playback. Once you realise it's there it really gets on your nerves to the point you can hear it as you move closer to it during normal/heightened volume. I tried it using optical as an alternative but no change. I tried it on another TV (both high quality Samsung smart 4k TV's) but still the same annoying noise. My other TV in the lounge already has a Soundbar with no hiss/crackling at all so I know it's not the TV. I am desperate for a mini/compact good sounding soundbar in my kitchen with ARC and at £200 I thought I had found just the one but sadly not the case. I listened for about 2 hours and thought could I live with it but it just go on my nerves so I packaged it back up and returned it to Amazon for a refund. I have given it 3 stars mainly for its build quality.
on 5 January 2017
with only 7 left in stock...and at an overpriced né stupid price of £32 thousand pounds plus each...(WTF !)
then these must be made of solid gold or plutonium ! They'll never sell at that price, shame because if there
were 7 actually available; of this discontinued model; at a REALISTIC price then I'd be tempted to buy 1 or 2
of them for my family as I am more than happy with the one that I have had for well over a year.
on 19 March 2017
I have had this mini sound bar for a few years now and it sounds great 3d and optical are clear iv got it on my Samsung 49in curve 4k ultra hd its brilliant just purchased a second one for 24in Samsung in the bedroom does what it says on the tin
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 15 April 2016
I bought this for my parents as they had a new TV and, like most today, it has rear-facing speakers that sound rubbish. Generally it works very well and is a major improvement on the normal TV sound.
In my case I deliberately chose to use the 3.5mm jack connection as when you plug that in to the TV it mutes the internal speakers and allows you the use of the single TV remote to control the sound from TV/DVD/etc. However, if you do so then remember to disable any fancy "surround sound" feature of the TV otherwise the overall effect is poor. In my case I also set the TV's equaliser to cut the bass slightly and boost the treble, resulting in a more natural sound overall (and the TV remembers such changes on power off).
The main down-side of this product are:
(1) It defaults to another input (probably HDMI-ARC) on power-up, and not remembering any previous settings (or even noticing the 3.5mm jack is inserted alone, so that is the only possible source). Still, my elderly parents manage to use it without difficulty so its not too bad.
(2) The sub-woofer needs another 13A mains socket, in addition to the main unit (and of course your TV, and DVD player, and...). It would have been nice if it could simply get its power from the head unit (as the previous non wi-fi model did).
Overall it is good though, and I would buy it again.
VINE VOICEon 12 November 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
We got this soundbar from Toshiba primarily for our sons room so he could experience surround sound from his games console (which is currently using the fairly poor speakers of his TV). The fact that he can also pair his Ipod means we can get rid of his old ipod dock which isn't working quite as well with his new Ipod Touch 5 due to needing and adapter to plug in. The plan here was to get better sound for both and not need yet another plug socket.

The product came heavily boxed with a large external package then big box full of polystyrene inside. It needed to be fairly large due to the size of the contents (including a sub woofer).

The package contains the sound bar, sub woofer, remote with batteries, a 3.5mm stereo cable and European and British plugs for both the sub and soundbar.

The soundbar itself can be connected to two HDMI inputs with one output, allowing it to switch them to an output display whilst processing the sound. It can also be connected to a stereo output and optical.

Connecting the soundbar to it's sub woofer is very easy, just turn both on and then press the pairing button on the sub, this automatically pairs them for you.

Connecting a blue tooth device is also very easy via a blu tooth button that broadcasts the soundbar so devices can easily pair to it.

In terms of buttons the sound bar has an input button (to switch between the input types), blutooth, volume - and + and power, operation is thus very straight forwards.

To test this I connected it to the my current Optical switch that allows me to switch easily between the sound of my Xbox One and PS4 into my current amp. This allowed me to listen to the output from games, Blu Rays and also TV (on the one from a Sky box source), I also switched between this and my current JVC 5.1 amp to get a feel for the quality and the difference.

Overall I would say I was happy with the sound but not blown away. It's a definite step up from the TV output (a lot clearer and sharper and with the sub more powerful) but it didn't compare to my other amp in terms of richness of sound or clarity and crispness. It's worth noting that I found it much better in 3D mode and it didn't default to it, so be sure press that on the remote to ensure you're getting the best sound.

I haven't used one of these before so don't have a ready comparison and it might be unfair to compare it to a device which is much bigger and has a whole set of individual speakers. Compared to that , for such a small device, it does quite an impressive job but I'd leave it to those with other soundbars to confirm how well it compares to them.

Overall I'm quite impressed and pleased. This will definitely become the sound device in our sons room and will be excellent for his music and gaming needs but I wouldn't see it replacing an existing surround sound set-up.
on 3 December 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
If you want hi-fi or cinematic quality sound you will not get it from the Toshiba Mini 3D Sound Bar II. Not being a hi-fi ‘expert’, I found the sound quality quite good & much, much better than that from the tv speakers. The bass sound from the wireless sub & the ‘sonic emotion absolute 3D audio processing’, in my opinion, works very well to give a reasonable, punchy & involved soundstage any where in the room. The sub has three bass levels & can, if wanted, be turned off completely.The 3D processing can also be turned off but this narrows the soundstage & sounded a bit flat to my ears.

The small size of the system is impressive & suits me as I don’t want large speakers & wires everywhere (obviously sound quality compromises are made). The sound bar sits nicely under the tv & takes up very little room plus the small (ish) neat sub, with its wireless connectivity, can be placed almost anywhere in the room. I had to experiment with placement before I decided where it worked best.

Setup is simple with the sub ‘pairing’ to the sound bar automatically. Connecting bluetooth devices, to stream media, is also easy & an excellent implementation. Connecting a laptop, phone, tablet or other bluetooth device is no problem & in seconds you can be listening to your music. There are HDMI ports (2 in, 1 out) on the soundar but I just use the optical out from my tv or line in for an iPod classic. The only strange feature I found was the LED colour system for the different functions (bass levels, 3D etc). Having said that after a bit of use it is easy to remember what the different coloured LEDs’ mean. The remote is a nice comfortable size &, with minimum buttons, uncomplicated. Both the sub & the sound bar need a mains socket which is something to bear in mind.

In my opinion the Toshiba Mini 3D Sound Bar II is a great, compact, decent sounding system that doesn’t clutter the sitting room with speakers & wires. I personally think it sounds better with music than movies/tv but overall does a decent job of both. It can not compete with more expensive/quality hi fi equipment or home cinema set ups but if you are looking to upgrade the sound from a tv or want good sound from a portable device this neat & compact system shouldn’t disappoint.
on 21 October 2015
Pretty good for the price when it's working and infinitely better than the terrible sound from the TV alone. And the respective parts are small enough to sit neatly on a shelf and do not have to be nailed to a wall – so, good design. Movie mode seems to work best for both TV and film, games mode for radio. Sometimes though when you turn everything on there is no sound at all, and after a bit of stomping about in fury and switching things on and off – the TV, the Tosh, the BT YouView – the sound comes on at deafening volume. I know this sounds pathetic and rubbish, but unless Techno Man (hubby) is around to soothe, twiddle knobs and pore over the combined manuals of all these meeja gadgets I'm now almost too afraid to turn the telly on and resort to a book instead. I'm no technophobe but it drives me crazy having to grapple with three separate dibbers, four with the DVD control, a box of tricks under the telly and another with flashing blue lights on the windowsill, plus remembering which HDMI thingy you need. However, Techno Man gives the Tosh a very positive thumbs up. So that's OK then – just as long as he's in the house.
on 16 April 2015
Disappointed. It works well with my iPhone and when I play tunes from my iTunes library via the device using Bluetooth/wireless link, I get a lovely deep, room-filling sound (especially when I press the "3D" button on the remote!) Apart from that, however, a bit of a dead loss really. I have tried to connect to my TV using HMDI (bought a brand new cable especially!) and nothing at all happened. I then tried using a direct audio cable but all I get is a lot of static/hiss and poor quality reproduction of what is playing on the TV while I get nothing at all through the sound bar when I try to play my iTunes library via the Apple TV link to my TV. I phoned the Toshiba "Help" line and they could not help me either. They could not find my brand of TV (purchased 2 years or so ago via Amazon, but already delisted). I suspect that might be the problem (not high enough spec?) and shall keep the sound bar in anticipation of upgrading at some stage (although, to be honest, I would really like an "all-in" TV which will allow me to dispense with the growing accumulation of stuff around the TV (sound bar, woofer, Apple TV, Apple iPhone adapter (£40.00 - useless, as my broadband is so unreliable and cuts out when I am in the middle of watching a non-UK programme via my iPhone!) (Have gone over to using YouTube instead!)
on 10 July 2017
Product looks great but has come without a remote. The instructions inside don't clearly tell me how to set it up and i am struggling to get it going. Product looks great but am disappointed with the above issues.
on 14 October 2015
Ingenious, surprising and most of all, satisfying to hear such unbelievable loud and clear sound coming from this mini soundbar and the subwoofer.
The 3D sound has to be heard to be believed, it's really quite decent, though may not be as good as a bigger soundbar, but most of the rivals will cost twice or twice the size to be able to rival this mini soundbar.

Leave the 3D on all time, can tell the difference most of the time whether it's off or on. Also, it works if the tv is on the wall but ya can leave it on the floor in the middle and still doing well. 3D surround is pretty good and if you are in a small room, it will be able to produce much better immersion that normal tv speakers, same goes to music when compared to normal laptop speakers.

There are 3 settings: Games, Movie and Music, just turn on whichever one that suits you. Overall, very impressed with this, but it can't be cranked too loud or it will distort.