on 26 March 2015
This was a disappointment, though I should have taken more notice of the more negative reviews on here. The style and content of this book has been altered to suit a young audience. The lists struggle to make an impact within a glossy pictorial background, and the lists themselves are often gimmicky and subjective in nature. To take an example at random - 'Most Epic Escapees in Movies'. There is nothing wrong in producing something for children, but I'd say that there is now room for an adult edition.

For me, the appeal of these sorts of books lies in the presentation of a large body of facts in a reliable and comprehensive way. As with the Guinness book, the idea seems to have taken hold among publishers and authors that they can be more interesting than the material that they are presenting.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 29 August 2014
I have been collecting the Top 10 of Everything for over 20 years now and I have to say this latest edition is very disappointing from an adult's perspective. The former editions were aimed at adults and children alike but the latest version is most definitely aimed primarily at children (no films over 12A are considered, the splash layout etc.) and it looks juvenile the minute you open the cover. I thought the Top 10 for Boys released in 2013 would be for kids (which it was) and then we (the adults) could look forward to the return of the book we have been avidly awaiting year after year. The music section is based on US sales, therefore eliminating any UK or global statistics which were always present in previous releases. Yes, the book is well laid out (for children) and the lists are informative but I for one will not be purchasing this book any more if the new format continues. Paul Terry is a hugely talented statistician and I wish him every success in his future releases, but it looks as if this is where my TOP 10 journey ends, and for that I am truly disappointed.
on 10 August 2014
Warning! - Although this Edition of the book is excellently laid out & entertaining to read, it is not the usual UK aimed version. It is the USA version. This means that several of the Lists are based solely on what has happened in the USA. No-where is this more obvious that on Page 168, where we get a List of the Top 10 Biggest Selling Artists Ever. (Music Artists). In 1st place is Garth Brooks, who means very little in the UK & Europe over-all. He's only big in Ireland, & that is a tiny Sales Market. He's sold over 134 Million Albums in the USA, but only about 5 Million in the rest of the World! The book gives him 69,424,000 USA Sales as it is only counting from 1991 to 2013. Metallica are in 3rd place, then we have George Strait in 6th, Tim McGraw in 8th, & Alan Jackson in 9th. None of those Artists would be anywhere near the Top 10 if it were based on UK or Global Sales. Page 169 gives us the Top 10 Biggest Selling Albums Ever, (since 1991), & Metallica are in 1st place with 'Metallica' - 15,948,000. Again it is just a USA List, & it has no relevance to the UK or the World. I just wish that Amazon would tell us if the edition of the book that they are selling is based on USA Facts & Feats & Sales etc. There is another 2015 edition of the book published on 2nd September. It has a totally different cover. Will it be merely a soft back edition of this USA book, or will it be the UK edition that I've been collecting for Years? An edition where we get details of the biggest ever Singles & Albums & Artists in the UK, (& World), & the same for Films etc.
on 30 December 2014
Absolutely brilliant value for the price! The book itself is very thick and heavy and superb quality. Easily 20 pounds in the shops so very good value. The quality is excellent with glossy pages and good pictures. I purchased this for a 10 year for which it was perfect :-)
on 5 October 2014
Loved last years Top Ten for Boys and glad they've dropped the 'For Boys' for this years edition (my daughter loves it too). Eye catching and with something for everyone, provides a nice alternative to the Guinness and Ripley books. For boys, for girls, for everyone.
on 5 December 2014
I have a show on my local community radio station and, apart from the music I play, I include various featurettes, one of which is 'Facts to wonder at. ' This fact filled volume is just right to make myself seem to be very knowledgeable,all illusion you see! Great book.
on 26 November 2014
Great fun to read with the kids. The source of much argument / discussion / amazement. Metallica have sold HOW MANY records?! Entertainingly laid out and endlessly fascinating. Recommended.
on 16 October 2014
This is a great book for all ages. It's full of interesting facts on a huge range of subjects. You'll find yourself flicking through it and finding out things you didn't know.
on 26 October 2014
Last book was great and this latest one is even better. Bought the other top 10 kids books and this is like a big annual collecting all the bests lists. Perfect for Christmas.
on 21 March 2015
Bought this for our grandson, as part of his Christmas present. He was born in 2002, so also got him a copy of Top 10 of Everything for that year, so he could compare the two.