Customer reviews

on 12 September 2015
I have a large number of these travel guides. What I like about them is their format - each book gives an overview (rather than lots of detail). It provides a summary of what is on offer. Inside is not just the obvious i.e. the Top 10 sights to see. Also you get things like the Top 10 museums & galleries, Top 10 markets, Top 10 Arts & Crafts, Top 10 events etc. - even the Top 10 things to avoid. That makes them very useful, and a unique approach to travel guides. I use them to decide what to do, and then use another book (or a website) to give me more detail if I need that.

This book covers, for example:
 Ancient Knosos
 Top 10 Festivals & Events
 Top 10 Food & Drink
 Top 10 Nightlife
(This is some, not all)

The book in its physical format is small - just small enough to fit inside a DL envelope (i.e. the standard white envelope, designed to accept a sheet of A4 paper folded twice). It is actually a few centimetres shorter than a DL envelope. This compact size makes it easy to fit into your pocket.

This book can't provide detail - it can provide `the big picture'. I now normally take two travel guides with me - a DK Top 10 one like this and a detailed travel guide, to get the best of both worlds. If you just have a detailed travel guide, you can miss out on things that you wish you had visited.

On a separate issue, I originally bought my Top 10 books in the Kindle format (because I am a Kindle lover) and to my surprise found the Kindle format terribly irritating. It taught me that when using a travel guide, you want to be able to flick quickly through it and jump around easily - that's SO much easier with a physical book. In addition, you want it to be in colour - you can cure that by taking your iPad with you but an iPad is bigger and heavier than this book in its paperback version. You can get round that if you have an iPad mini or a large screen smartphone (neither of which I had when I bought this) but you are still left with the problem of being unable to flick around the book quickly. Travel guides just don't work well in the Kindle format, in my opinion.

You may feel otherwise but that is how I feel. I found the relative awkwardness in flicking around the Kindle book a major handicap. And this is despite the fact that I buy most of my books in Kindle format.

The beauty of these books is that they give you an overview, which means that you end up doing things that you would not have done otherwise.
on 28 September 2011
Neat book to carry around. It is not too big, too heavy or too detailed. Map references immediately after the blurb on places of interest are particularly helpful. It worked for me. In the transport section it might be worth saying something about how bus stops and tourist bus stops work particularly if you are staying out in the countryside like we were. The buses for longer journeys are mainly airconditioned coaches while local buses are of the recogniseable bendy bus type and tourist buses only service local hotels. They managed to confuse us but then again, probably no different from anywhere else in the world. If you can get hold of a bus route map/stops then go for it. Bus conductors will generally tell you when to get off, if unlike us, you are staying somewhere within sight of a bus stop, the place you are staying has a name and you can recognise where you are...quite difficult on unlit roads! A week's holiday was not long enough to get my head around them. PS If you are near Chania then the main bus station in Chania has a handy Information Office with helpful people who will tell you the number of the bus you need to take.