- Hardcover: 461 pages
- Publisher: Springer; 4th rev. and enlarged ed. edition (14 Mar. 2006)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 3540403876
- ISBN-13: 978-3540403876
- Product Dimensions: 15.9 x 2.3 x 23.9 cm
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 6,834,177 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
- See Complete Table of Contents
Tools of Radio Astronomy (Astronomy and Astrophysics Library) Hardcover – 14 Mar 2006
|New from||Used from|
There is a newer edition of this item:
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?
From the reviews of the fifth edition: "A very significant change from earlier versions is the addition of problem sets at the ends of each of the 16 chapters … . the discussion of instrumentation and data collection and processing which looks forward to ALMA and the SKA, making the volume useful, the authors hope, for radio engineers (a grand old name, which they apply to Jansky and Reber) as well as radio astronomers … . I’m sure you will find this iteration … as useful as the previous four." (Virginia Trimble, The Observatory, Vol. 129 (1211), August, 2009) "The publication of a fifth edition of Tools of Radio Astronomy is in itself proof of the success of the book. … will be useful to communication engineers, a claim about which one can have some reservations. … this up-to-date version will be of invaluable use to the observational astronomer. … provides a toolbox of essential material, in particular in the area of the analysis and interpretation of radio-astronomy observations. The book should be on the desk of every practicing radio astronomer … ." (Jacob W. M. Baars, The Radio Science Bulletin, Issue 330, September, 2009) --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.
From the Back Cover
The recent years have seen breathtaking progress in technology, especially in the receiver and digital technologies relevant for radio astronomy, which has at the same time advanced to shorter wavelengths. This is the updated and completely revised 5th edition of the most used introductory text in radio astronomy. It presents a unified treatment of the entire field from centimeter to sub-millimeter wavelengths. Topics covered include instruments, sensitivity considerations, observational methods and interpretations of the data recorded with both single dishes and interferometers. This text is useful to both students and experienced practicing astronomers. Besides making major updates and additions throughout the book, the authors have re-organized a number of chapters to more clearly separate basic theory from rapidly evolving practical aspects. Further, problem sets have been added at the end of each chapter. --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta) (May include reviews from Early Reviewer Rewards Program)
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Religion & Spirituality > New Age > Occult > Aliens
- Books > Science & Nature > Astronomy & Cosmology > Astronomy > Star Gazing
- Books > Science & Nature > Astronomy & Cosmology > Astronomy > Telescopes & Equipment
- Books > Science & Nature > Astronomy & Cosmology > Education
- Books > Science & Nature > Astronomy & Cosmology > Space Travel & Exploration
- Books > Science & Nature > Engineering & Technology > Aeronautics & Aerospace
- Books > Science & Nature > Engineering & Technology > Electrical > Electromagnetic Theory
- Books > Science & Nature > Experiments, Instruments & Measurements > Equipment & Techniques
- Books > Science & Nature > Physics > Applied Physics
- Books > Science & Nature > Physics > Electromagnetism
- Books > Scientific, Technical & Medical > Astronomy & Cosmology > Space Travel & Exploration
- Books > Scientific, Technical & Medical > Physics > Electricity, Magnetism & Electromagnetism
- Books > Scientific, Technical & Medical > Research & Development
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Education Studies