on 19 July 2010
If you want to sharpen your own drills, lathe tools and milling cutters then this is the book for you. Clear diagrams and good hints.
It's weak on woodworking tools so I'd go elsewhere if that's what you want to do.
As another reviewer say's the book with apostrophe's s'cattered all over the place is'in dire need of proofreading and sentence's are often muddled up.
If you can make sense of the last sentence then you'll be alright.
22 Comments| 21 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 May 2009
Having tried to sharpen drills and lathe tools on the bench grinder in the past without having much of a clue what I was doing I can now see why the results were less than satisfactory. This book explains all you need to know, it's more complicated than it looks. The book covers sharpening of all the tools encountered in the home workshop, not just drills and lathe tools, but also milling cutters, slitting saws and woodworking tools to. For less than the price of one decent cutter it should repay the investment in no time at all. Oh, and all the pages were correct in my copy.
on 2 October 2017
Yet again these little books from the Workshop Practice Series live up to their reputation. Who'd have thought you could sharpen an end mill. There is so much in here it beggars belief. I highly recommend this book and all those in the series.
on 19 June 2013
This book by Harold Hall gives all the information on Tool and Cutter sharpening needed. It has drawings for making small accessories to facilitate this sharpening.
Details are clear and precise with types of abrasive wheels and angles to sharpen to.
It is always a handy reference that you will go back to time after time.
on 9 January 2009
Typical Harold Hall. Clear and with a good mix of practical and theory.
I was really enjoying this book until I came to Chapter 10 when part way through I found myself reading Chapter 8 again. Chapters 11, 12 and 13 were completely missing.
Amazon replaced this copy with an identical one. I wonder if they read the reason for returning a book; after all they do ask for one.
Sorry Harold, perhaps YOU should have a word with the printers.
Never mind, I'm hooked now, let's see what the second replacement brings.
on 28 September 2017
Having not had any formal training on tool sharpening I was keen to buy this book. While I'm still not as good at it as I should be I am now able to get tools sharp enough to use.

For me as a relative beginner to sharpenning this was a good guide that was worth buying
on 26 April 2011
Although this was a cheap paperback it assumed some engineering knowledge. It was far from clear what to do when I attempted to use a drill grinding attachment having read up beforehand. However if I wanted a tour of the tool and cutter grinding equipment available it would have been invaluable.
on 26 November 2012
The finish of this relatively simple product was horrible to a degree that made it completely useless out of the box.
The vertical shaft you rotate the thing around had so much play in it it was impossible to sharpen your drills equally much on both sides. - The shaft is being pressed up against a wedge in the support part by the shiny metal sign/plate which is fastened with two screws (self tapping!) the free end of the shaft (that goes into the support) looked like it had been chopped off with an axe.
This free end stood on a small "ball" cast into the bottom support, not sure if this is intentional though.
Since I live in Denmark returning the thing seemed a bit too complicated, so I made up a solution which has made it work.
I ground the end of the shaft so it is flat and perpendicular, and most important put 2 big sized washers under the screws so the metalplate presses harder on the shaft.
Future improvement might include reworking the self-tapping threads into proper threads, to facilitate adjustment of the pressure the plate exercises on the shaft.
Also i think the manual provided is lagging, I used to work with a similar thing from another company, so I knew how to use it, but I think a new user will have difficulties using the thing with the included documentation.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 June 2013
Another great book in this series, giving in depth instruction on the subject, a must for anyone using a lathe or drill and needing to keep your tools in tip top condition.
on 19 December 2012
Plenty of information in this book to keep me busy. What was once a mystery seems quite straight forward now