Learn more Download now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Best of 2017 Shop now Shop now

on 5 December 2017
Just discovered electro-swing and LOVE this group and their funky, catchy numbers. Everyone I play it to loves them as well!
on 1 May 2012
Found this when checking out scenes from the cutting room floor and was blown away by its originallity, nice to hear something that isn't a bunch of boy/girl band wanabies. Best original sound ive heard sine the talented Emerald and late but very missed Whinehouse.
on 23 June 2017
played with rhythmic lively singing
on 26 April 2017
One Word GREAT CD always playing it, music fantastic.....
on 25 October 2011
Like other reviewers, I was brought to this album via Caro Emerald's excellent 'Deleted Scenes from the Cutting Room Floor'. The comparison is a good one, but as delightful as Caro Emerald's album is, this offering from Tape Five is quite simply stunning. The strength of the writing, both musically and lyrically, combined with exquisite production is a pure joy to listen to. This is, without doubt, one of the best albums I have heard in many years.

Each song stands out, with terrific little nods to swing music of bygone years, even down to vinyl 'scratches' and distortion on the vocals as though they were recorded on those great old microphones that looked like huge Victory V lozenges. Smooth brass, infectious percussion and 'hotel foyer' piano are overlaid with synth noises and sampled vocals; little reprises of some of the musical motifs provide a jaunty reminder, and the whole thing simply oozes sophistication in the production. In places the songs have their tongue firmly in their cheek, but at no time does any of the trickery start to wear thin - everything about the album is perfectly balanced. Having produced a variety of music in the past, I can appreciate the enormous effort that has gone into this album.

Like a fruit pastille (which we know can't be held in the mouth without chewing) I believe it's impossible to listen to Tape Five without a part of you, or indeed all of you, dancing. Whether you listen to swing or jazz or not, if you like good music this should be in your collection. Fabulous fun!
on 17 July 2011
I discovered Electro Swing after hearing Caro Emeralds 'A Night Like This' on the radio and then downloading Scenes from the Cutting Room Floor Deleted Scenes From The Cutting Room Floor. Electro Swing is basically jazz, swing and big band style music from the 20's, 30's and 40's fused with modern genres such as Electro, House and Hip Hop - it works really well. For me some other Electro Swing music goes a bit too far towards the modern but Tonight Josephine stays pretty true to the original swing style and feel.

Normally a bit of Prog Rock fan I find this type of music fun and uplifting and you will find it hard not to tap your feet, fingers and other body parts to the beat! Tonight Josephine is a very fine album, well produced with quality vocals and superb musicians - I love it.

If you like this album also check out Swing Republic Electro Swing Republic which is also a very good album.
on 24 June 2011
Amazon have this as "frequently bought together with" Caro Emerald's Deleted Scenes from the Cutting Room Floor, which is how I found Tape Five. Intruiged by the other reviews and, lets be honest, drawn by the album cover, I popped over to amazon.com to hear some samples of the album. Another reviewer has written more eleoquently about their music than I can but, suffice to say, Tape Five now have a new fan. Can't recommend highly enough.
22 Comments| 19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 31 August 2011
After listening to Caro Emerald's CD (Deleted scenes from the cutting room floor), I had to buy this one too. And wow, it didn't disappoint. This style of music is just contagious. Upbeat, alive just fab. Get home from work and put this on and I just can't keep still. It's impossible! Value for money and a selection of great artists. More, more, more please!
on 28 September 2010
Based on this album alone,long may the current European electro swing movement continue.I think it is safe to say the UK has a bit of catching up to do in this area,although I notice Sky TV slipping in the odd bit of swing during various trailers these days.
This is classy swing dance music of the highest order.For those familiar with this type of music the name Brenda Boykin should be enough to justify a purchase! Electro swing is not really to sit and listen to;its intention is to get several parts of your anatomy moving to the beat. A blend of swing jazz with electro disco funky beats to spice up the mix.Upbeat tempo abounds with a few surprises in the form of Far Far Away-yes this is a swing version of the old Slade hit and it works really well and also (I believe) an old classic 'Birds Like It'. A whole album of electro swing can sometimes sound a bit similar but the rhythms and melodies mixed here are a nice variety.I d.j.ed a party recently and electro swing music goes down a storm.I suspect people are just glad to hear decent beats that don't sound like products of TV show talent factories. Recommended for anyone born with rhythm in their heart!If I could I would award a sixth star for the sexy girl on the cover!
0Comment| 44 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 23 May 2013
It's a bit disco ,the cover sleeve deceives I don't think there are any songs that I would remember the following day after listening to them