Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 8 October 2016
MY opinion : A very useful book with nice tactics , some of them close to Glass's book (as for example I found the mirroring technique on one of her chapters ) , but possibly more advanced and useful than the elementary and more general of Glass's . And you learn also very useful , meat for your mind , quotes!
on 27 January 2009
I got this book to help me in my inter-personal relationships, and it really has. There are lots of simple techniques, some to use immediately, and benefit from immediately, and others to work into your life over a longer time.

I'd also recommend David Lieberman's book about resolving conflicts. Both these books are profoundly humane, and very practical. Jay Carter worth a look too (Nasty People).
on 28 August 1999
Sam Horn covers a broad spectrum of verbal situations that can easily turn harmful if not handled well. Her recommendations are creative and practical and lets us take back control of our language. Horn's examples are so real one can hear the conversations! Each chapter ends with an action plan to help us deal with the particular difficulty covered.
The final chapter ties a nice bow around all the techniques by encouraging the reader to develop an action plan to turn "intentions into actions."
An easy read rich with appropriate quotations.
on 11 July 2010
I must admit when I saw the book, the cover, and the image of the author (who gives the impression of 'yet-another-american-sef-help-guru')that I shouldn't waste my time reading this book.

The old adage never judge a book by its cover is never so true as in this case; a really good read, based on real-life experience as a trainer, with a wealth of choice selected quotes.

A great handbook for everyday life, for anyone in management - who inevitably have to deal with other people, and for anyone in the communications business, like me, who can have further in sight into the challenges of persuasion and engagement, and flexible thinking.

Really recommend it.
on 19 October 1997
I now recommend this in my workshops as the best all-round book on communications period. It's fun, short, practical, insightful, easy to remember and useful in every challenging communication situation.
on 31 December 1998
This book was a true eye opener. I was able to relate on multiple levels to each scenario presented in each chapter. The book is NOT for the literati-it is a QUICK read. Take the information at face value and it will prove to be an outstanding resource. I have recommended it to everyone who will listen, especially at work and in my volunteer outlets.
on 9 March 2012
This book really is packed full to bursting with so many easy to implement tips, which also make so much sense. It gives you so many tips to enhance your interactions, not only with those you love, but also your work colleagues and even strangers. Learn how to best deal with people using easy to use techniques and get stress out of your life for good! I would say for the price of this book you're getting a bargain.
on 11 July 2011
this booked helped me understand that words are very important. a very straight to the point book for all readers.
on 8 April 2016
This is the book that I have been looking to find for many years. I have read many self help books on communication that have left me with nothing. I am now a lot more confident in communicating after reading this and I have only just finished the book. I have just ordered more books written by this author. I'd recommend this book to any one. Treat yourself!
on 22 November 2015
Not bad but takes a bit of reading, not just what I was wanting though