on 8 February 2004
Well does it work - I used it 3 days ago to train my 26 month old daughter. Day 1 we had 50% success; day 2 30% and today we hit the jackpot at 100%.
Did I apply it to the letter - No, it gives you a good outline in how to have a really intenstive start to potty training, and the concepts are good but I found it impossible to apply to the letter. My daughter did not respond in a text book manner, we would have had a lot of power struggles and made the experience very unpleasant for both of us if I had made her sit on the potty for the set times or not allowed her to do ANYTHING else but potty train - also some children frequency of urination means it takes longer. There is also nothing in it telling you what to do if it doesn't seem to be working (like yesterday) and in some ways it can be quite punitive for the child.
My recommendation for it is take the essence of what steps you need to get your child to learn but adopt a more positive/ less rigid approach - relax which is what we did today and long may it continue.
on 16 March 2017
It is no good for my boy, who is stubborn.
on 11 May 2001
The book arived today and I thought I'd give this technique a try on my almost 3 year old daughter who refused to entertain the idea of potty training.
We had nothing to lose and I'm glad we tried it because it really does work.
My daughter is very head strong and can be stubborn at the best of times. Our attempts to use the potty always ended in tantrums.
She started the initial training (taking the dolly to the potty) with ease. She loved it. As soon as she had taken the doll off the potty she sat down on the potty and passed urine immediately!
I gave her lots of praise and a small sweet snack and she soon caught on. She revelled in the praise, especially when we kept checking her pants to find they were still dry.
She started to become bored and frustrated at the stage of sitting still on the potty for 10 minutes as she didn't need to use it. The longest I could get her to sit for was around 1 minute. So we rejected the strict time guidelines in the book and just sat for as long as she wanted to so neither of us became frustrated. She was in control.
I don't think the method kicked in until she had her first accident though. She was playing when she wet herself and I said 'No!' sternly as the book outlines. She became upset so I sat down with her and let her know why I said 'no' and why wetting herself is not nice. She responded very well and when I said 'OK, lets practice' she responded even better. She immediately became elated and saw the potty run practice as playing a fun game. She kept saying, 'Again, again!'. She had lots of fun.
She enjoyed helping me to clean the mess and was really eager to go upstairs to find a change of underwear.
We continued the regular checks to see if she was still dry. She stayed dry for half an hour while we played upstairs and then she told me she wanted to poo-poo. So we went straight downstairs and she poo-pooed in her potty! =)
After that, everytime she wanted to urinate, she took herself to the potty, pulled her pants down and sat down to do the business all by herself!
Overall, I believe this method is excellent, as long as you take the strict guidelines such as time spent on the potty, etc with a pinch of salt.
My best advice is to use this method at your child's own pace and let them feel like they are in control. Don't be too strict, use lots of praise and if you don't like the idea of using snacks as rewards, just give the cuddles and verbal praise alone.
on 26 February 1999
I had seen this book when I was in the process of toilet-training my first daughter. At that point, my daughter never got junk food of any kind, and I recoiled at the idea of having the learning process attached to food. However, what ensued was that for the next 6-7 months I was living with accidents to which I was more or less prepared to respond in a non-angry tone. In other words, I simply blew it sometimes since I had an infant in arms at that point. I determined that THAT method (inconsistent response style) was probably far more traumatic to a child than a one day attempt using this method. So, with daughter number two I decided to give it a try. I waited till she was exactly 26 months, but I think I caught her on a good day when I gave her the readiness test, because she can be rather stubborn. Hence, it took most of the day to get her trained. The most difficult aspect for me was getting her to drink enough to have some early successes. However, she quickly caught on to the concept of wet pants not being much fun and once she had an accident or two, things moved on quite quickly. Just as the book recommends, I phased out the treats by the end of the first day, so she does not ask me for candy each time. The only aspect that I find didn't stick too well was not wanting applause for her handywork. She insists on me coming to see it before she dumps it. But, she is EXCEEDINGLY proud of herself and within days of this training she was suddenly speaking in full sentences and progressing in many other ways. I don't pretend that there were no tantrums and no times when I doubted my choice- particularly the diaper checks after an accident when she was already crying anyway. I see how I might soften some things now that I have seen it work. However, the best thing that this method did for me was give me a formula to fall back on which prevented me from getting angry. How could you possibly get angry at your 2 year old for making mistakes the first day of training anyway? So if you can get it done, there is one less developmental hurdle that you can mess up. My daughter has had 3 accidents in the past 3 weeks- her last one over a week ago- and has not had any nighttime accidents. And, she can be successfully asked to hold her urination till we get home if she is in the car at the time. So, I would definitely recommend that if you are beginning to lose patience with your child, give this a try- but do not show ANY anger or frustration when you try this method. And DO be 100% committed time-wise for the duration. I'll admit it seems a bit surreal after you have spent 8 hours either in the kitchen or in route to the bathroom, but it was defintely worth it to me. And the basic premise of this book is all too obvious yet all too often over-looked when parenting 2 year olds- Give your 2 year old as much latitude as you can, but when you give a command, do not allow it to be ignored. It is easily within your power to physically cause your command to be followed- GENTLY. Tantrums have gone down significantly in the household since I have begun being diligent about only giving those requests that I am prepared to see through all the way. It is certainly much better than time outs or other forms of punishment. In fact, it was the lack of punishment in this process that I liked most. Yes, the practicing could seem like punishment, but it truly is practicing for the child who has not done toiletting before. Making those actions seem second nature DOES take some practice. I can certainly relate to those parents who did not do all of the reps and would never tell people to go against their feelings, but I did do all 10 reps for the 3 accidents that I dealt with. However, I cut out the wet pants checks after the first time. Best of luck to you all!
on 16 June 1999
When our oldest child was about 2 1/2 I was dreading the thought of potty training. While browsing through the library, looking for ideas, I ran across this book. The title made me extremely skeptical, but after reading the book jacket, and remembering the 6-12 months of frustration and misery some of my friends went through with their kids using customary training methods, I figured I had nothing to lose. I used this method successfully with all three of my children.
For this to be a good experience for both parents and kids, it is essential that your child be "ready" (as defined in the book), both physically and developmentally. If your child does not consistently follow your directions, you need to spend time on obedience training before moving on to toilet training. The book also includes some good suggestions for that.
I challenge the assertion that this method is abusive and out-dated. Each of my kids enjoyed it because they had my undivided attention, one on one, for the entire time. When was the last time your child had your complete attention for 6-8 hours?
You must be willing to do the preparation work, and plan a day or two for training time. You must expect cooporation and obedience from your child, and be prepared to follow through and help them (consistently and gently). Being willing to commit a few days to the process of preparation and training can save you months of frustration, conflict, and changing diapers, while giving your child the pride that comes with learning a new skill, and excercising personal responsibility.
on 19 September 2002
I am not one to ever write reviews like this, but we were so amazed at how quickly our son conquered toilet training following the advice given in this book. It may be emotionally draining at times, but stick to it word for word and turn what could have been a long and painful process into a much shorter and overwhelmingly satisfying experience for both parent and child. We have only had 1 accident in a week of starting. Buy it, stick to what it tells you and you will see for yourself.
on 13 March 2017
To be honest, I bought this book way back in the 70s and used it to potty train my four children. Of course it doesn't work in less than a day (neither do Father Christmas nor the Tooth fairy exist, you know), but I found it a brilliant way to get the children started and compared to other mums my kids were potty trained relatively quickly.
The reason why I am writing this review is that I was looking for something to help my own daughters (see above) potty train their kids - and was delighted to find the book is still in print - no mean feat after more than 40 years!
on 16 December 2006
I read the book through first before even attempting to potty train my 3 year old son. Up to this point he had shown no interest in a potty at all. The book method actually worked from day one although we didn't need to follow it to the letter. (The book suggests you use a wetting doll for a "role model" but we didn't use one.) I envisaged spending several days at home purely potty training but didn't need to - by day 2 he had gotten the hang of it with only one accident. Summer is by far the best time to start. All children are different but I had not envisaged "the dreaded potty training" to be this easy. Would definitely recommend this book.
on 15 June 2004
My wife and I approached potty training my eldest son with trepidation after being told about other friends' nightmares with their sons.
We bought a handful of books on the subject and after reading them all settled on this one. We did not expect the method to work. Our second son had not long been born and we genuinely expected the whole thing to turn into a disaster.
But instead it took only a morning and our son took to it right away. We have now gone for a year with (fingers crossed) only an accident no more than once every month at first and now rarer than that.
on 30 April 1999
Our pediatrician recommended this for our 2.5 year old boy. After reading it I thought "no way," because the outdated 70s researcher tone and focus on reward motivation were very offputting. But guess what? The technique works. The important point about it is not the snacks or the doll or following the technique exactly. The important point is showing parents how they have to teach their child how to take responsibility. Things you take for granted like turning around and pulling your pants down before you sit on the toilet have to be taught to the child for them to be successful every time. I recommend reading the book, writing down the steps, then putting the book aside. Also, it took a weekend, not "less than day." But our 2.5 year old has been dry for over a year and we sure saved on diapers!