Learn more Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Arcade Fire Learn more Fitbit

Customer reviews

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£6.99

on 19 April 2017
Great book thoroughly enjoyed it.
on 13 December 2011
I had never heard of this author or book prior to deciding to buy it, but it was a risk that was richly rewarded.

I agree with the other reviewers who praised this novel so highly. When I first began reading I wasn't sure that the writing style would be to my taste, it had something of the historical voice to it which I don't really enjoy. But that feeling disappeared soon enough and I began to enjoy the writing when the background to the story had been established and the main characters introduced.

Anyhow, To Be Sung Underwater is so beautifully written and wonderfully realised that I don't hesitate in recommending it. The story is gentle, reflective and poignant; the writing evocative and the flip between the present and the past is not distracting or contrived as in some novels, it works to enhance your appreciation of events in the book a lot.

One of the other great things about this novel, I felt, was the lack of explanation. Often in books everything is given, nothing is left unsaid, no question left unanswered, but in this book Tom McNeal resists the temptation to give you all the answers to the questions he sets, which I think added so much.

I am fairly certain I will revisit this book again; though I rarely reread novels I think that this quiet beauty will probably draw me in again. I totally recommend it if you are looking for something that is understated and deeply resonant of the lives of real people.
on 11 July 2011
Set in Rufus Sage, Nebraska, Judith Whitman meets the young carpenter Willy Blunt. Willy Blunt has the eyes and smile to make the heart melt and a smell unique only to him. They spend a long and idle summer retreating to places of solitude to idle away time and get to know each other.

Probably the most exceptional piece of writing I have had the pleasure to read in a long, long time. On a par with Ian McEwan's Enduring Love. The authors knack with words and description is staggering and leaves you knowing the characters so well you are totally taken in by the book and transported to Nebraska where sights and smells are almost there in the room with you.

A story of a real first true love which suddenly ends and then is revisited 20 years later. Memories, thoughts and inner passions are rekindled but heartbreakingly so.

A book to take on holiday this summer, you wont want to put it down. A truly wonderful read.
on 5 August 2012
Right at the beginning of the book I was not entirely sure whether I would like it, I had never heard of the author and to be totally honest picked it up in a 3 for 2 deal as the third book. So very glad I did! The story really captivated me, transporting me back in time to Nebraska and Judith's youth. A poignant story of "what if's" and the different paths we take in life when standing at crossroads that a lot of people can relate to. Highly recommended!
on 21 July 2012
I write to ensure that this book earns five stars and is read by many others. I have just finished it and entirely agree with the detailed review written by S A Edwards.
Highly recommended.
on 18 September 2012
I found this a very moving yet gripping novel. The various relationships; husband/wife, lovers, father/daughter were all very convincing. Highly recommended reading.
on 15 May 2014
I loved this book. Not really into soppy stories but this was a really great read. Going to read it again immediately.
on 26 May 2016
This book has a wonderful knack of catching you, and then oh so gently, reeling you in until you are completely absorbed in its characters and story. It is a tale of first love, lost and regained, with an unexpected and somewhat uncomfortable twist at the end. One of those rare books that has you racing towards the end but then leaves you feeling so sad when it is finished. I just loved it.
on 30 October 2011
This is such a good read and amazingly well written. It tells the tale of first love and what I cannot get over is that such a sensitive portrayal was written by a man! It made me feel I was actually in Nebraska with them such was the descriptive writing. I didn't want to finish it and it was some while before I picked up another book to read.
on 3 December 2014
I was surprised to get so involved with the characters so early on and to feel part of the story myself. The writing is so good that every character feels very real. I read the last third of the book in one sitting as I wanted to see the story through to the end and couldn't put it down.
A great read.