• Tins

Customer reviews

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£3.79

on 6 March 2017
Fergal is a self-confessed nerd with an eccentric hobby: tin collecting. He likes the lucky dip aspect of buying tins that have their labels missing - after all, you never know what might be inside. It's Fergal's idea of living dangerously. That is, until the day he innocently opens up a tin to find . . . a bloodied human finger. Everyone thinks it's a joke. But not Fergal - and when his next tin discovery is a note with the word 'Help' scribbled on it, he feels compelled to track down the factory responsible for these mysterious and macabre products. Fergal might be hungry to play detective, but has he opened a can of worms . . . ? With nobody to share his hobby with, Fergal meets a girl at the supermarket attempting to go for the same tin: Charlotte. Charlotte is also interested in tin collecting. This book will have readers squirming on the edge of their seats. Funny, frightening and totally gross - Alex Shearer taps into the repulsive-but-appealing tradition of urban myths that are perennial playground fodder. When Fergal goes investigating the factory and does not emerge, it is up to Charlotte to save him! This is an excellent book and I rate it 4 out of 5. If you found this review helpful, please be sure to give it a thumbs up.
review image
on 28 February 2016
My daughter (11) read this book at school and loved it. I haven't seen her that frustrated about not being allowed to read on for a while, so I read it too. I finished it today and yes, there's a storyline that I can imagine would appeal greatly to children her age. But it annoyed and angered me for one reason, as both a parent and a police officer. The message that a child is left with it that adults won't believe you when you tell them things. Ok, sometimes, if you scare them into submission, they might, but it's generally not likely. These children took on an adventure on their own which, if you follow the inference of the story, may well have cost many other children their lives. All because they didn't think they would be believed. Had they spoken up at the outset, things might have been very different. I would have been happier if the error of their ways was pointed out eventually but it wasn't. We know that people do bad things to children and play on the "don't tell, no one will believe you" message. It concerns me that this is replicated in the story, in my view irresponsibly. Get the book, let your children read it, then have a chat about what they should have done and that of course you would have believed them. Just don't leave them to make that mental leap themselves.
on 15 July 2008
This review is written by my son Miles who is 9.

Tins is about a boy called Fergal.Fergal likes tins,he collects them.He is drawn to the ones with no labels.
One very exciting day he goes to the bargain basket and grabs a tin- unfortunately he gets into an argument with a girl called Charlotte. Charlotte shares Fergals hobby and after a long exhausting fight they become friends. Fergal finds some horrendous human body parts inside the tins.
Together Fergal and Charlotte release the concealed secret behind the tins mystery.

This book is a great read.You will be drawn to it like a magnet.You will never want to put this book down.
on 3 September 2010
I was rummaging through some books in a school library when I came across this book. The cover intrigued me so I started reading it. The first page had me hooked. I think it was written for a child or a teenager, and I am in my fifties, but there was something so delightful about this captivating story, I just kept on reading. Three hours later I had skipped lunch and was not going to stop reading until I had finished it. I was not disappointed. The book never became silly or unbelievable. It just kept on entertaining me.

When I got home I went straight into Amazon and ordered all the books Alex Shearer has written. I have a feeling I have many more pleasant hours ahead, with these books now stacked up on my bedside table.
on 11 September 2009
This book is awesome; it is about a boy called Fergal who loves tins and collects them and then opens them and finds a unpleassant suprise.I really enjoyed this book.
Fergal is a self confessed nerd who meets a girl who's called charlotte who moves from south wales.Fergal especially likes tins without labels.fergal goes looking for what is the problem with the people who are putting the things in the tins with no labels. Then he follows a lane to the place were something is.THIS book will never let you put it down because it is SO full of adventure, that is why we vote it 10 out of 10.this is suitable for 9 to 13years old of age. its AWESOME!!!
on 20 July 2009
I tried with this one, I really did! Seeing it on the library shelf, I became intrigued and took it out. The librarian warned me that she couldn't get away with it, but I rarely leave a book unfinished.

This was was of the rare occasions when I did. This book is dull beyond words. There was nothing exciting about it. I doggedly read on until I finally couldn't take any more.

I gave up. Which is quite shameful as it is a short book.

I'm glad to see that other people enjoyed it, because I really, really didn't...
on 4 November 2014
I have just read this book with one of my young students. She loves it! She likes it because it is really interesting and gruesome. She also says that it teaches us a lesson about how important it is to tell people the truth and not to takes matters into our own hands when we should tell the police, especially if we find body parts in our tins!
on 26 January 2015
My 9.5 years old boy is very keen on becoming reading millionaire in school and this is yet another book which helped him with this goal. He read it whole Saturday afternoon and few hours on Sunday morning. He couldn't let go of it. It has got a lot of reading points within school library so this means it's reasonably hard to read for his age.
on 6 March 2012
I thought this book was really interesting. Me and my sister both really enjoyed it. I don't get how anyone could give up reading it because it just makes you want to read more and to find out how the strange things are getting in the tins.
on 1 December 2007
My mother had a knack for knowing what was in a tin with no label; this story takes it to another level. Intriguing easy read for 10+ readers with a "Dahl-esque" ending. Open "Tins" you know you want to.