on 15 November 2017
Really enjoyed this book and love reading Barbara Erskine, if you haven't you should, and if you do don't have anything else planned as you'll not put it down.
on 17 February 2015
I loved this book. It has all the ingredients I love mysticism, crystals, history, time lapses, time jumps and very believable characters. I've not quite finished reading it yet but would have no hesitation in recommending this to others. It seems to have hidden meanings, depths to the story which draws one in to it. I love most Barbara Erskine books anyhow , my favourite being 'Lady of Hay' which I have still to read again after many years. Hard to say which will prove to be my best read! Meant for all lovers of a cracking good book.
on 3 March 2011
I have read all the Barbara Erskine novels over the years and enjoyed them all, waiting impatiently for the next one to appear on the bookshop shelves.
I have to agree though, with a previous reviewer that they are bit "samey". That to me doesn't matter, it's what we expect from a Barbara Eerskine novel, this mix of past & present mingling together that makes them so appealing.
There is one thing that grates on me a bit. That is the fact that all the central characters are so very middle-class. It would make a refreshing change for the main character around whom the story revolves, to be an ordinary girl from an average working class background, with possibly blue collar parents living in a typical street found anywhere in Britain today. Having said that, I do find the books very entertaining and have most of them in my collection and whenever I have finished one, I am always pleased I bought it!
The historical content is always superb and very interesting, it is always good to have a book written by an expert on a subject they know so well.
on 28 August 2014
I have loved Barbara's style of writing since I first discovered The Lady of Hay many years ago. This book was just as much a joy to read.
I loved the characters and loved the way I started out hating one of them and had my mind completely changed....but I don't want to give away any plot spoilers.
Having considered entering the church myself at one point and now being a pagan I was interested to read this story and see how Abi coped with conflicting emotions and beliefs. I thought Barbara treated the story with respect and a gentle touch. I loved it.
on 9 July 2013
This was a story like so many I had read before, yet so different.
The main focus of the story is on the Somerset town of Glastonbury and the surrounding area which I know very well and have grown up around. So to find a book that I can read and describes these places well, was amazing.
Many authors have tried to use the parallel stories which span history and have failed making the story clunky and forced. In this case Erskine has pulled the cat out of the bag to create a narrative which flows gently between two millennia. The devices used for this are cleverly managed and the twining of modern day christianity and druid spiritually and an ancient pagan faith make for a toe tingling read.
The main protagonist is very relatable and likeable. The other characters are just as endearing and there is a huge surprise for those who read the book cover to cover, I will not elaborate as this will spoil the story entirely.
I would suggest this book to anyone who has a small amount of interest in mysticism, likes a good story, and a plot which twists and tangles getting deeper and deeper until an interesting revelation.
on 24 January 2013
Just finished reading this book 1.30am! Rivetting. Goes from modern day with a female vicar having received a crystal from her mother. She finds it has powers enabling her to see into the past. What goes on will get you gripped with the story. It's also a really good insite into how the druids lived, supposedly at Glastonbury. Added to the story was an assasin Roman soldier who's twin brother lived in Britain for years to escape his evil. Bad brother found him again but was in fact looking for a visitor to the druids. Won't say no more, could spoil the story. Just buy it and read. You should get hooked like I was.
on 29 April 2017
Good read, quite a page turner.
on 21 May 2011
This was an absorbing read and I enjoyed its gentle debate about faith and religion. This was not at all didactic, however it offered food for thought.

I did find myself wondering about the curate who'd preceded our protagonist and the real reasons for his departure, which I don't believe were ever really explained. Was it something more sinister than a "nervous breakdown"?

It was an effective evocation of late Iron-Age Britain and the lives of pre-Roman invasion settlers, though, and a fascinating glimpse of what might have happened in the Glastonbury area during that period.
VINE VOICEon 10 October 2017
As always, a wonderful escapism read
on 26 July 2014
I always know I am in for a treat with Barbara Erskine and this book doesn't disappoint. I haven't finished it but as ever the storyline is intricate and draws you in right from the start. I have read many Barbara Erskine books and Shivering Sands remains a firm favourite which I re-read every so often, also Midnight is a Lonely Place (which frightened me to death in a good way!). This book is just as gripping and I am enjoying it immensely.