- Paperback: 252 pages
- Publisher: Oxford University Press (21 Aug. 2008)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0195339681
- ISBN-13: 978-0195339680
- Product Dimensions: 23.4 x 1.3 x 15.5 cm
- Average Customer Review: 3.0 out of 5 stars See all reviews (1 customer review)
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: 964,346 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
- See Complete Table of Contents
Time in Indian Music: Rhythm, Metre, and Form in North Indian Rag Performance (Oxford Monographs on Music) Paperback – 21 Aug 2008
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Clayton proves himself to be a master of perceptive observation. A hugely enriching study, and a tremendously stimulating "must read" for composers concerned with the nature and sturcture of rhythm. (Anthony Gilbert, the works)
About the Author
Martin Clayton is Senior Lecturer in Ethnomusicology at the Open University.
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
This book tackles the historical significance of the infusion of Sufi-ideology as well as Hindu concepts of time-of-day performance. It also takes a serious look at the Ati-Vilambit-Kehyal tradition (not carefully examined by many scholars outside of India).
This book is not for the uninitiated, it is unlikely that a novice will fine much of the information useful. For that, I would recommend Haresh Bakshi's "101 Raga-s for the 21st Century and Beyond." But for those who have spent a few years under a Guru, this book is a must-have.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > History > Religious History > Hinduism
- Books > Music, Stage & Screen > Music > Musical Theory & Composition > Musical Theory
- Books > Music, Stage & Screen > Music > Scores, Songbooks & Lyrics > Classical Music
- Books > Music, Stage & Screen > Music > Styles > Classical Music > Orchestral
- Books > Music, Stage & Screen > Music > Styles > Classical Music > Scores, Songbooks & Lyrics
- Books > Music, Stage & Screen > Music > Styles > World Music
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Social Sciences > Linguistics > Reference