On Time 3E: Software Project Management Practices and Techniques (Computer Science) Paperback – 24 May 2000
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
From the Back Cover
A developer′s survival guide packed with real–life case
studies, tips, techniques, and best practices for completing software projects on time and within budget
Whether you work at a large or small company, this book will provide you with expert, down–in–the–trenches tips, techniques, and strategies to deliver a software project in a cost–effective and timely way. Real–life case studies let you learn from the mistakes as well as the successes of others. Author E. M. Bennatan zeroes in on proven methods for avoiding bottlenecks and overruns at every step in the software development cycle––from cost estimating to product delivery.
The Third Edition of this bestselling guide routes you directly to what you need to know about:
∗ Managing both small and large projects in a distributed environment
∗ Common development problems and how to avoid them
∗ Preparing estimates and proposals and bidding for contracts
∗ Managing teams for maximum quality and productivity
∗ Proven scheduling and project development planning techniques
New to this edition:
∗ How best to ensure an effective relationship with customers
∗ Risk management and disaster prevention
∗ The pros and cons of acquiring custom software from outside suppliers
∗ Managing multinational projects
∗ How to save time by reusing software components
About the Author
E. M. BENNATAN spent many years leading a multinational software design center for Motorola. He was also responsible for program management of Motorola′s High Availability Systems Corporate–wide Initiative. Bennatan has over twenty years′ experience in software development and software project management and is a member of the IEEE Computer Society and the ACM.
Top Customer Reviews
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
I, too, didn't think much of the book when I first started but it is has grown on me quite a bit. It's concise and informative. Try the chapter on estimation, it serves as a good intro into estimation techniques.
Yes, "Rapid Development" is probably better but "On Time, Within Budget" is deserves it's place in your project management library.
This book is full of real-life examples; it was clearly written by someone who has been down in the trenches. This adds credibility to the methods described.
I have learned a lot from the book and I use it as a reference regularly.
I don't think our company would have taken all this on without this book. It doesn't only suggest what to do it also explains why.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Business, Finance & Law > Management > Human Resources > Professional Development
- Books > Business, Finance & Law > Management > Information Management
- Books > Computing & Internet > Computer Science > Information Systems
- Books > Computing & Internet > Programming > Languages & Tools
- Books > Computing & Internet > Programming > Software Design, Testing & Engineering > Functional Programming
- Books > Computing & Internet > Programming > Software Design, Testing & Engineering > Software Architecture