Timber Buildings in Britain (Vernacular Buildings) Paperback – 3 Feb 2006
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Enter your mobile number below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
"Ron Brunskill is the recognised authority on the history of vernacular building in Britain" Building Conservation Journal"
The standard textbook on timber buildings which include many of the most beautiful houses in Britain. The book is extensively illustrated with outstanding photographs and line drawings which reveal in great detail how these attractive buildings were constructed.See all Product Description
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
Brunskill is as well qualified as anyone to write this book and the expertise does show, but it is far from perfect. The text is surprisingly brief and not always easy to follow. The fact that the photographs are in black and white doesn't matter, but the neither the quality of the photography nor that of the printing is as clear as it might be, and it isn't always easy to see the detail being illustrated. Moreover, the author may know exactly how structures are assembled, and be able to accurately delineate joints and assemblies, but he lacks the artistic skill to make his diagrams look solid in 3D. Because the shading and draughtsmanship are a little odd, one finds oneself turning them this way and that, trying to work out what three-dimensional object or shape is intended to be portrayed; at times it is hard to see what is meant to be convex and what concave; elsewhere it is difficult to work out which are timbers and which the gaps between timbers. The simpler diagrams of joints are admirably clear, but the more complex structures sometimes mystifying.Read more ›
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Art, Architecture & Photography > Architecture > Planning
- Books > Art, Architecture & Photography > Architecture > Techniques & Tools > Structure & Design
- Books > Art, Architecture & Photography > Architecture > Types of Architecture > Public Buildings
- Books > Art, Architecture & Photography > Design Studies > Industrial Design
- Books > Art, Architecture & Photography > History of Art & Architecture
- Books > Art, Architecture & Photography > Styles & Movements
- Books > Biography > Artists, Architects & Photographers
- Books > Science & Nature > Engineering & Technology > Civil Engineering > Building Construction & Materials
- Books > Scientific, Technical & Medical > Engineering > Civil Engineering