Shop now Shop now</arg> Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Amazon Music Unlimited Shop now

on 21 October 2013
I've been through quite a few 10 stop ND filters in the past few years. First one I had was the default setting, Lee Big Stopper. That one bit the dust after user error/technical malfunction with my tripod quick release. They do smash quite easily! Next one I tried was a Big Stopper look alike. Useless as light crept in through the side gaskets ruining the shots no matter how much I masked it off. The Tiffen doesn't suffer any any such problem. It's a traditional screw in filter. All the lenses I am likely to use this with are 77mm, so One filter does the job for me. Only tricky technical thing is attaching the filter after composing and focussing. Very easy to move the lens. The results however are on a par withe the pre-smash Lee Big Stopper. Colour rendition is just as weird, due to the nature of the wavelengths of light this type of filter struggles to block, but a quick conversion to mono removes that issue. If you do want to shoot colour accurate extremely long exposures, I think I'd be looking at a different technique altogether. Which does work extremely well, but can lead to less smooth sky blur. (multiple exposures).
on 16 March 2014
The images had a very severe magenta/brown shift with green foliage rendered as brown. RAW uncorrectable in post-processing. Also the filter gave a 12 stop reduction not 10. A huge difference. Maybe just a bad batch of glass, but beware.
on 7 April 2014
Bought this filter after reading good reviews. Be very careful, mine had a very bad orange/brown colour cast & was unusable as a ND filter. Possibly due to a bad batch of glass or poor make up. Mine was returned after a wasted trip to the Lake District where I intended to use it on waterfalls. Don't waste your money, buy the SRB variable ND filter which a friend bought instead as this had amazing results.
on 8 June 2014
Used this on EOS500D. Was taking pictures with lots of blue sea/sky and green grass with 30 sec exposures. Basically the grass was red and the sea/sky was a different shade of red. Tried different lenses, setting different white balance etc. but no improvement.
on 30 June 2014
Test shots with filter in the garden turned all foliage red, I contacted Tiffen who requested sample photos which I supplied & I then heard nothing from them! so I returned the filter for a refund.
on 12 February 2014
Faultless! Faultless! Faultless! I took a chance, after reading a great review online, about the Tiffen Filter. Normally, I'm using Hoya. But this has been fantastic. It also, comes with a 10yr warranty! I've recently been to the Lake District with my D600. With the Tiffen on my 16-35mm F4, I could with comfort at F8 ISO 320, get a lovely 30 second exposure, in normal daylight. You really can get some lovely effects with it. 100% on par with Hoya Pro1 ND64.
on 9 April 2014
The package arrived really quickly and the build quality is really good for this filter. Like many others say colours are distorted, giving the appearance of a Lomo camera and vintage look. Fine for me but once converted to B&W images are amazing and allow creative opportunity.
on 7 May 2015
Very little colour cast from my filter (produces a warm image when the settings of the camera are Auto white balance) although it was not bought from Amazon. I am really impressed with the quality of the filter and the results are far better than I was expecting after seeing these reviews.
I have noticed that some colours on long exposures need a bit of work to correct. For example, green foliage seems more yellow than I remember at the time and oddly some objects won't render true. For example, a blue rucksack came out purple whereas other blue objects such as sky were spot on. I suspect this has something to do with the dyes used in some clothing and it couldn't be corrected.
Monochrome images of course resolve all these issues.
Filter is of a decent quality but being glass is more at risk of breakage.
on 13 January 2014
Good quality 10 Stop ND Filter with not to much vignetting, and a pleasant colour cast, and at a great price!
on 11 October 2015
I love the effect this 10 stopper provides. However there it does leave a magenta colour cast due to the lack of an infra red blocking layer (so I've been told). The cure to this is to buy the version that costs 3 times as much, or to slide the green-magenta filter control in Lightroom or Photoshop until it is gone. (it's not that easy though because the cast is not just magenta, and it can take a while. I always to a shot without the filter too as a reference to work from.)