Shop now Shop now Shop now See more Shop all Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Learn more Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Discover more Shop now

on 5 March 2013
It's Lewis Carroll's follow up to his most famous work and best of all, with the introduction of Kindle, it's now one of the many classics that can be legally acquired free of charge.

I'd recommend to anybody looking for an introduction to Carroll's work to head to Alice's Adventures In Wonderland first, as this is as previously mentioned the sequel and both books rank among his more accessible works. While initially aimed at children, Through the Looking-Glass is beautifully written and flows with a bizarre sense of humour that it's near impossible not to enjoy. In a sense it's actually more plot driven than its predecessor, but that's not saying a whole lot, this is a book still primarily based around wacky characters, crazy situations and vaguely psychedelic events.

Essentially it's great, it's classic and it's free. What have you got to lose?
on 3 March 2014
This is a sequel to Alice in Wonderland, and unlike most sequels it is better than the first. This time we are told right at the start that Alice is dreaming, and the interest of the dream carries our interest as she climbs through the mirror on the mantel-piece finds everything back to front.
The style is polished and the plot coherent as Alice travels across a chess board country with the aim of becoming a Queen. En route she meets a number of fascinating characters, and some of the best nonsense verse in the English language.
It is a child's book, but the quality of the writing and the concepts (Carroll was a mathematician) make it a good relaxing read for adults too.
It's nicely laid out and as a bonus it doesn't cost much.
on 11 March 2016
This review is for the Millenium Publications edition of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass, which is a shameless rip-off. It doesn't have the illustrations and it bears an uncanny resemblance to the free version of the text that anyone can download from the Gutenberg Project. The only difference is that if I had downloaded it and printed it out myself I wouldn't have done such a shoddy job of it.

This is a terrible way to treat a classic.
on 25 August 2014
Not quite as satisfying as 'Adventures in Wonderland', but a lovely story all the same. Great poetry and nonsensical storytelling. Reading this makes you appreciate the amount of editing and pasting employed by Disney in the films. Recommended for ages 6 to 160!
on 7 December 2014
I had never read any of Lewis Carroll's books prior to this and just loved it. The care taken with the language and the frankly spaced out ideas is something that one may have expected from the 1960's. Excellent.
on 19 October 2014
Quite a short book so stuck with it. Cleverly written but I did not really enjoy it and found it hard going. Seemed disjointed and the ending very weak and is a pale comparison to Alice In Wonderland which I really enjoyed.
on 22 January 2014
There's not much to say about this book other than that I loved stepping back inside the wild imagination of the author.

I loved the idea that it was all staged on a giant chess board... I loved the new characters we met and I loved how free it set your imagination.

As if being a child once more when anything was possible and playing "make-believe" was so incredibly easy.

I have to admit that although I loved some of the "poetry" in the book I did skip a few verses of some of them.

So glad that I finally got to read such a classic and I would definitely recommend that everybody who's anybody reads it.
on 28 February 2013
Bought because I had a copy of Alice in Wonderland as a child which I read and reread till I almost knew it by heart. I only read T hrough the Looking Glass once and though I remembered the characters I could not recall the details. As an adult it is a fascinating and surreal read with obviously deep and interesting psychological implications to someone who is interested in the meaning of dreams.
on 12 September 2013
I bought this as I had recently watched the Tim Burton "Alice" film and couldn't really remember the 2nd part of her adventures.

It didn't take very long to read again, but I enjoyed it immensely. Well worth a re-read and if you've never read it before, make the time it's worth it!
on 8 January 2014
If you've read Alice in Wonderland then you know what to expect - a lot more of the same. Through the Looking Glass makes use of many of the same literary techniques that make its predecessor so unique, but the same techniques are used in different ways to prevent the reader from getting bored.

It's a nice, short novel, structured to follow a set of moves on a chess board - well worth reading, but read Alice in Wonderland first. If you plan on reading this to children, you'll enjoy it just as much as they will, and the short chapters are the perfect length for bedtime reading.

If, on the other hand, you're like me and read on the way to work (and have a soft spot for children's books), you can get through it in a day - what's keeping you? Oh, and say hi to the red queen for me!