on 5 March 2016
I have tried so many things to reduce my accent, but I am not good singing or memorising lyrics, I am terrible imitating accents, I feel embarrassed if I try to mimic the way and style of the person speaking to me, and obviously, no one wants to hear me whispering what the person on the tv just said... so, I am trying a new approach, read aloud the book.

IPA will be very difficult for those that never needed it as part of a learning foreign language. However, if you know a bit the alphabet, I think you will be able to get used to it slowly. The beginning is tough; be ready to read at 5 a year-old speed, trying several times the same word and wondering what you really read, but after a while you get speedier and you can recognise words automatically. I am still in chapter two but I found that by repeating correctly over and over again the same words, they have become easier to say and people ask me fewer times to repeat what I said. Sometimes, I see their phonetic writing when I am speaking...Of course, this positive impression could also be just psychological, i.e. me believing I am (finally!) improving but, even in this case, it has increased my self-esteem and it has helped me to speak more confidently.

About the book: The foreword is written in English and IPA, so it can be used as a guidance. The illustrations are really beautiful. They are by John Tenniel from 1865 (see pic).
review image review image review image
on 5 August 2015
Disappointing to discover that The Hunting of the Snark not only lacked its illustrations (which add considerably to the poem) but was incomplete, lacking the two final 'fits' - absolutely crucial!
on 12 June 2017
Delighted to purchase this. This is the first time I have seen all four areas of LC in one book. "Alice's Adventures Underground" and "Wonderland are very similar. but I did enjoy reading "The Hunting of the Snark" and "Through the Looking Glass". It helps a lot when reading the Looking Glass if one understands the rules of Chess, and also plays the game, both of which I do! If one doesn't understand chess at all, some of the literature in "The Looking Glass" is likely to be confusing. I would strongly recommend studying the rules of Chess before reading.

That aside, it is a classic piece of literature. I have heard it said that "Wonderland" is one of LC's visions when he had a Grand Mal (apparently he was epileptic) but having got this condition myself (extremely well-controlled I might add). I am not sure if this is true. Nevertheless, this is a welcome addition to my ever growing collection! Well worth reading!
on 11 March 2016
This review is for the Millenium Publications edition of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass, which is a shameless rip-off. It doesn't have the illustrations and it bears an uncanny resemblance to the free version of the text that anyone can download from the Gutenberg Project. The only difference is that if I had downloaded it and printed it out myself I wouldn't have done such a shoddy job of it.

This is a terrible way to treat a classic.
on 28 July 2016
The reviews of this I read seem to refer to another edition completely. Perhaps the kindle version. Do not buy this as in the printed form at least it is really not a proper book and 100% disappointing. Thin and flimsy, it has no illustrations and the tile of the book is even mis-spelled on the cover - "Alice adventures" instead of Alice's Adventures. Alice's Adventures in Wonderland is actually a great book, just don't buy this edition of it.
on 5 November 2015
I read this because i didn't as a child and friends often talk about it with great admiration saying it's not just a book for children but also for adults. I love art parties, surrealism and weird quirky stuff so I thought I would most certainly appreciate Alice, but i just found it kind of fun but not exactly amazing. Like, it basically just exploits a binary trope of small/large, known/unknown for comic effect and that's it.
I remembered that my parents did try to read it to me as a child but that I wouldn't let them get through the story, I found it so boring I left the room every time they read it to me and they soon gave up. People don't change, I guess. But I'm definitely not any more drawn to any mad hatter parties than i was before...
on 2 February 2017
This is a very strange edition which is illustrated with pictures that would seem to be more appropriate to Robinson Crusoe. Has someone at the publishers (Amazon) slipped up?
on 6 June 2017
This is a very disappointing experience as I have received a book that is completely different from what I bought and what was on the picture. As you can see from my photo, this book only contains Through the Looking Glass, while I was expecting to get a book that also contains Alice in Wonderland. I am not going to spend more of my precious time for the hassle of returning it, so will have to get another book now.
review image
on 9 June 2016
3.5/5 stars

This is the first e-book I obtained for free after deciding revisit children's classics which I never got around to read when young. It's about a young girl going on an adventure in a magical land after following a rabbit down a hole. I saw the 1985 TV movie of Alice in Wonderland in the late 1980s, and I remember enjoying the movie more than the book. I didn't seem to connect with Alice while reading. This version of the book includes John Tenniel's original illustrations, which are lovely. Overall, recommended for children.
on 29 May 2017
The book I received was nothing like in the description: thin, flimsy, with tiny black-and-white illustrations, more a cheap brochure than a book. Overall looked like made by lazy children in a rush and on no budget.