I greatly enjoyed this collection of five stories. They are entertaining and accessible to a non-specialist readership.
Lord,in the first three stories, uses rather befuddled, naive protagonists who tend to be a few steps (but not *that* many steps) down the hierarchy from the very top. So this historical fiction not quite "from below" but a little bit down.
The medieval world is not portrayed in a romanticised fashion, but neither is it demonised. The protagonists inhabit an earthy world where pious aspirations run counter to fleshy reality - but what is so different in today's world?
The last two stories have more elite narrators (you can't get that much more elite than "Stupor Mundi") and a slightly different tone, which I liked. Stupor Mundi's nods to Dante are lightly worn.
- Format: Kindle Edition
- File Size: 855 KB
- Print Length: 90 pages
- Simultaneous Device Usage: Unlimited
- Publisher: Alt Hist Press (11 Nov. 2013)
- Sold by: Amazon Media EU S.à r.l.
- Language: English
- ASIN: B00GMQ5CDQ
- Text-to-Speech: Enabled
- Word Wise: Enabled
- Average Customer Review: Be the first to review this item
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: #1,400,296 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
Would you like to tell us about a lower price?