Customer reviews

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£1.49

on 2 August 2017
Found this confusing and hated the style of writing
Taken in by the reviews but did nothing for me Gave up on chapter 7 and I rarely give up
So many so called writers around with this weird way of writing and plotting
Amy Bird not for me
RUBBISH
on 14 February 2016
Ok
on 30 March 2015
Great read
Dan is a slightly strange sociopath, who is in love with his best friend Adam. Dan is a great believer in method acting and applies that principle to his writing, creating an alter ego to explore his fantasies. We hear lots from this other self and also sample his creative genius. The plot follows Dan and his dark creepy obsessional thoughts and actions!

For those of us who love a dark read, this is just perfect. Dan is fascinating and strangely likeable, in his weirdness. He is very much an anti hero. There are very funny moments, where the author's dark humour comes out. I loved that and laughed out loud. A clever read!!!! The ending made me smile.
on 9 May 2014
I have read my fair share of books and psychological thrillers but this is something else!

I was completely and utterly hooked from the first few pages and not once did this book let down with the suspense and intricacies. I kept on changing my mind about the different characters, their motives, their ways of thinking, and especially towards the last few chapters I simply could not put the book down. And when I say that, I mean I was cooking dinner, stirring food with one hand and holding my Kindle with the other. And walking to work whilst reading the book!

The characters are incredibly intriguing and just as you expect, they don't quite turn out the way you thought they would.

This is definitely one of the best books I have ever read and I'll be looking out for more of Amy Bird's books now.
I cannot recommend this book highly enough.
on 21 July 2014
This is the first book in a very long time that I have managed to 'consume' in one evening/night and that is credit to the good writing and gripping story that unfolds in Amy Bird's 'Three Steps Behind You'. It is a riveting story that submerges you into the inner (somewhat perverse) psyche of Dan, whilst also allowing you to second guess the motives and agenda of the other characters. However, the faint-hearted beware: there are clear violent and sexual themes throughout which some readers 'may find disturbing' (or, for those of stronger mettle, a bit unsettling). Despite this, it was an enthralling read which will keep you thinking about the characters and their actions for days after you have finished reading; I quite literally did not want to put it down!
on 5 August 2014
I received an advanced copy of this book in return for an honest review.

After reading Amy Bird's previous book, Yours is Mine, I was excited to see how she could follow it up. I was surprised to find that it was a completely different type of story and even more intrigued to find her writing from a male point of view. It worked very well for me although I did find it difficult to get into the very strange thought processes of our narrator.

I am glad I stuck it out, as the story takes a very dark and murderous turn and leaves the reader totally in the dark as to who is the real victim.

I will certainly be watching out for more from Amy Bird.
on 16 March 2014
This story of Dan, his best friend Adam and Adam’s wife Nicole is a thrilling, suspenseful and shocking take on a triangle of love, obsession and revenge. The story is told as a double narrative, by Dan, and by Luke, the persona that would-be author Dan adopts for his ‘method writing’ (like method acting) - his way into the extreme actions he is plotting for his next book, Book Four. The story begins as Dan helps Adam to commemorate the anniversary of the death in a car accident of his first wife Helen. As Dan gets deeper into his delusional world and his obsessional quest, we need to look over our shoulders and ask ourselves who is following whom as the story takes us round London. We discover the secrets of the mysterious Book Three – the book that no-one knows exists – and in the exciting, violent and shocking finale of Book Four the true motivations become clear in this dance of death. Dan achieves the ultimate in ‘method writing’ – to say any more would give it away, but the last few pages reach a new level of psychological thriller. Thriller lovers, though, may be reminded of Grahame Greene, Raymond Chandler, and even Hitchcock. This is a highly original novel, in both the plot and the way it is written – a real contemporary contribution to the genre.
on 27 May 2014
I got quite drawn into it, looking forward to my daily installment and finished it pretty quickly. Started thinking it was very dark but once I got accustomed to the utter obsession of the main protaganist I found it more fascinating than disturbing. The author does a good job of explaining why he is like he is and there is also considerable humour to be found throughout the narrative. Builds nicely to a gripping climax and an ending that is more realistic than reassuring.
on 17 June 2014
Amy Bird has created an impressive image of obsession, by turns fascinating and disturbing. The final few chapters flew by in a blur as I willed the tube not to reach my destination until the story was complete. Altogether a much more challenging novel, for both the author and the reader, than her debut, but I think also more rewarding. I look forward to her third book. Or is it the fourth?